From Trash to T-Bone

Andre Joly

Hello.

Recently came across this site and wish I had years ago.

I live in Ottawa ON, Canada so plan to use this grill mostly for cooking polar bear and seal.
.... Joking. It’s about 90 degree F right now.

Previously I’ve had a Weber Spirit and then an E-320 Genesis. The E-320 got negotiated into a real-estate deal when selling a house. I replaced it with a Vermont Castings Signature VCS6005 which unfortunately is still with my ex-wife until that house sells.. Then maybe I’ll get it back. I seem destined to lose grills! Oh well.. it was too big anyways.

Anyways shamefully had/have a cheap one as a “daily” BBQ.. but this weekend spotted what I thought was a Weber at the end of a driveway waiting for the garbage man — turned around and I was right. Upon a quick inspection some (consumable) parts had been stripped (1 burner, propane regulator, and grills)... The grill was dirty and needed a major servicing but no frame corrosion to speak of.

It would appear I’ve got myself a 2000-2001 Genesis Gold C as a project

Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of disassembly but once I got it home went at it with heavy degreaser, a wire wheel, wire brush, and lots of sweat and disassembled the lid, removed the fire box and gave it a thorough inspection. I felt it was good enough shape to save so the frame got a light sand and painted, I soaked the plastic parts, and polished the lid. The side caps of the lid were sun-beat so I degreased them and painted the outsides.

It’s back together now.. I’d like to clean up the fire box a bit more but realized it has some (very mild) warping inwards on the right side.. I’m inclined to use a reversed bar clamp on the inside and “push out” the warp — has anyone ever experienced this? Am I best to leave it alone?

Excuse the mess I’ve got some of the old parts in it and as mentioned intend to take a grinder to the inside of the box.

As of now I think I’m comfortable putting a few hundred bucks of parts into it.. It looks like someone recently put a new manifold on it. So far have the following on my list

- set of burners
- cast iron grills
- flavour bars
- second heating rack (only has 1)
- propane regulator

Anyways this is where I stand now, with a bit of luck I’ll be grilling by the weekend :)

Last edited:
You should be able to put that grill right for well under $200. As for the warping, if it isn't affecting the fitment of the fire box in the frame or the fitment of the flavorizer bars or cooking grates, then don't mess with it. Aluminum doesn't like to bend. It will a little, but will quickly crack if too much pressure is applied.

Also, I am pretty sure there should be some type of shelf on the bottom of the grill. Probably a wire shelf. Buying a new one might be impossible and if it is possible, it is probably going to be really expensive. I would keep your eyes open for one off another donor grill. There is no rush, the grill will be fully operational without it while you keep your eyes open for one off another grill.

You can replace the warming rack if you like, but most people never do. They rust up real quickly as they are not stainless steel and worst of all, they always seem to be in the way when grilling.

Good luck and keep us posted on how the rehab work goes.

Thanks for the feedback Bruce.. that was sort of my thinking on the warping as well.. maybe I’ll leave it alone unless I really have to fix it.

Good info on the warming rack.. I was going to add a second.. but maybe I’ll see if I even use he one that’s with it.

As for the bottom basket I found a new replacement one for about $80.. but I think before pulling the trigger I’m going to put the in its “home” on the deck — I’m a little concerned that the O.E. setup of the tank off to the side might not be conducive to where it will be located.. I might have to put the tank under it, and therefore wouldn’t be able to use the rack anyways.

Thanks again for the feedback

Actually.. In case anyone knows...

Is the original style thermometer available? If so — is it worth trying to find one? At first glance it’s location off to the side leaves me questioning how accurate it would be to report back on the overall temp.. unless maybe the sending unit is more central (?)

Actually.. In case anyone knows...

Is the original style thermometer available? If so — is it worth trying to find one? At first glance it’s location off to the side leaves me questioning how accurate it would be to report back on the overall temp.. unless maybe the sending unit is more central (?)

Weber 9815 or Broilmann 62538...you can find those on Amazon. Of course the ones with the probes will be more accurate. I use the original style more as a reference.

You found a nice grill there! You hardly see those nowadays (Genesis with the beefy frames). I also have one that I am rehabbing for my brother, it doesn't have the side burner like yours though.

Last edited:
Hahaha, nice grill, but it's a total mutt! The badge on the lid says Genesis Gold, yet the enameled lid is black instead of stainless steel. Second, I'm pretty sure that the side shelves and frame are actually from a Genesis Platinum.

That said, it's a very nice grill. I'd love to have found it.

I agree with Bruce on the warming rack. That will be a nice grill that will last you many years when you get it set up. Take some pictures when you do your first cook and let us know what you think of it.

Hahaha, nice grill, but it's a total mutt! The badge on the lid says Genesis Gold, yet the enameled lid is black instead of stainless steel. Second, I'm pretty sure that the side shelves and frame are actually from a Genesis Platinum.

That said, it's a very nice grill. I'd love to have found it.

I think it's a Genesis Gold C, 2000-2001 model according to this....https://www.appliancefactoryparts.com/gasgrillparts/weber/genesis-gold-c--2000-2001-.html

And I agree, very nice grill and I'd like to find one as well, especially for free.

Ya admittedly I don’t know the story on the old girl.. So could be totally cobbled. If it is, whoever did it, did it well.. on disassembly all hardware was present and matched, etc...

I had understood that as a 2000-2001 Gold it could have come with a black, burgundy, or green hood (mine obviously being black) and that the SS hood was on the platinums.. But I could have easily mid-informed myself

Ya admittedly I don’t know the story on the old girl.. So could be totally cobbled. If it is, whoever did it, did it well.. on disassembly all hardware was present and matched, etc...

I had understood that as a 2000-2001 Gold it could have come with a black, burgundy, or green hood (mine obviously being black) and that the SS hood was on the platinums.. But I could have easily mid-informed myself

Looks like it is the real deal. The early Gold/Platinum gets a little hard to sort out. It used the same wide tube frame as the even earlier Platinum. They dropped that at some point going to the regular Genesis frame, and then in 2005-6 the Platinum featured the stainless steel but regular-size tube frame.

Andre: You can do as you wish, but I would hold out for a used bottom rack. $80 is pretty steep IMO. I am guessing you will be able to find a donor grill to snag one off of for much cheaper and then you have the rest of the grill to cannibalize if you like. Like I said, you should be able to put all new cooking grates, flavorizer bars, burners and igniter in that thing and still be way under $200. Actually, closer to $100. You don't need the bottom rack to use the grill, so go ahead and start cooking and keep your eyes open in the mean time. The grill looks like it has all the critical parts intact.

That is what my cheap *** would do anyway. Be patient.

YEah the bottom rack would really "finish" it properly and make it look "right" but a great find especially with the cool side burner

Yah, that front basket is cool as well. I bet a lot of those wind up lost from the older grills.

Fwiw, the bottom rack/shelf is structural support to keep the legs from bowing, so you'd want to put something there. Either a rack, a bottom pan, or maybe even some all thread rod

Fwiw, the bottom rack/shelf is structural support to keep the legs from bowing, so you'd want to put something there. Either a rack, a bottom pan, or maybe even some all thread rod

If there were no horizontal bars that connect the legs, then I'd agree with you. But on this model, I think the bottom shelf on the 2000-2001 models just sits on top of the frame, instead of clipping on to the legs.

Ya the rack would be nice but as mentioned I want to see if I’ll need to put the tank under it before sorting that out — not urgent.

I don’t think it’s structural as it’s very sturdy as-is, the way the bottom of the cart is assembled/fastener placement doesn’t lead me to think it needs more rigidity — but who knows.

I’ll definitely be keeping an eye out for a parts one and maybe other older Weber’s in the area.. didn’t realize rebuilding these things was so fun and had such a following... helluvalot cheaper that classic cars and motorcycles! Very enjoyable

Andre,
Those 2000-2001 Genesis Gold B/C are so cool, I almost bought a couple over the years but they get snatched up fast.
They only came in three colors, Red/Green/Black with matching porcelain shelves and that huge front basket.
Here is a pic of a green B model-

Y7BDhJC.jpg

Jeff

Back