Best wire cup brush to remove light rust from frame?

Brian Corey

TVWBB Member
There is a little light rust and flaking of paint on my Genesis 1000. Anyone have a suggestion on a good wire brush to remove it using a drill?

Thank you.

I honestly would not use a drill. Go to Harbor Freight and get a cheap angle grinder. You can find them for around $9 with the coupon and it's worth every penny of it. I used the hell outta mine when I was doing our deck and also redoing the Q320 I stole from Bruce :D

+1 Larry. If you have a HF nearby, get the cheap angle grinder and a 4" wire cup brush. You can use it on frame rust as well as to clean out the inside of the cook box.

I am doing a restore and tried the nylon cup brush first. Did not do what I had hoped (probably because I had to use my drill and it will not spin fast enough.)
So I went and picked up the 9.99 7 piece wire brush set at Harbor Frieght that include both type of cup brushes (crimped and knotted plus some other things.) $8 after the 20% off coupon and has the right stuff. Hooked it up to my angel grinder and was so excited to see the stuff it could take off. Just be careful as it will remove stuff quickly!

Also make sure to have ear, hand, eye, and mask protection. I had to go grab some ear plugs last night before I did anymore then just a small spot. Once I figure out how to post pictures I will do so.

I am doing a restore and tried the nylon cup brush first. Did not do what I had hoped (probably because I had to use my drill and it will not spin fast enough.)
So I went and picked up the 9.99 7 piece wire brush set at Harbor Frieght that include both type of cup brushes (crimped and knotted plus some other things.) $8 after the 20% off coupon and has the right stuff. Hooked it up to my angel grinder and was so excited to see the stuff it could take off. Just be careful as it will remove stuff quickly!

Also make sure to have ear, hand, eye, and mask protection. I had to go grab some ear plugs last night before I did anymore then just a small spot. Once I figure out how to post pictures I will do so.

Yeah,
Restoring grills is fun, even if dirty work. But, don't make it dangerous! I wholeheartedly agree with your admonition about protection. At first I was just worried about my eyes (safety glasses and a plastic face shield to help out) and ears (Harbor Freight ear muff protectors). After I blew my nose and saw all that junk I realized I wasn't thinking about the equally serious issue of breathing that stuff:p. Get a bunch of those $.99 better grade disposable protectors from HF; for that price you can afford to jump up from the really cheap ones.

By the way, if you are spray painting anywhere besides outside (and maybe even then, too) get yourself a respirator with filters. HF has those very reasonable. Those chemicals are pretty insidious. I subscribe to Hemmings Classic Car magazine, and the editor came down with a type of lung cancer that led his doctor to ask him how long he had been smoking. The answer was never, but then he started thinking about all his car restoration work, especially painting...Spend a little and put up with some hassle, but be safe! I am preaching to myself, as well.

Jon,

I completely agree and when I said mask earlier I was thinking filter but could not think of the word. HAHA

Safety has become more important to me with age. I started used this brush for 1 min yesterday and stopped until I got all the hearing and breathing equipment I needed. You do not think about what that stuff does to your lungs until it is too late! I finally started listening to what my dad has been telling me for years, breathing, eyes, and ears are very important, use safety equipment to keep them working.

Back