12.5 lb Brisket - need some guidance

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I bought a 12.5lb Brisket at Walmart for $29. I couldn't pass it up, but I have never cooked a brisket before. I am looking for a simple recipe that I can use to cook it on my Genesis 1000.

Does anyone know of a good (Simple) recipe online that I can follow. I don't mind if it takes a long time and I will be using a Thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer for both the internal meat temp and cook box temp. I am wondering if maybe I should cut the thing in half???? Or is it advised to cook them whole?

So, if someone can point me to a good online recipe that shows how to prep the meat and cook it, I would be grateful.
thanks,
Bruce

gxgB3Z4.jpg

This might help you out a little, Bruce. Your brisket is select grade, so it will likely have less internal fat. You will have to figure out how to fit it to your gas grill. Perhaps you may need to cut it in half. I would trim only some of the thickest chunks of heavy fat, season as desired and cook it indirect with the fat cap up as your heat will be coming more from above than below. Hope this helps some. Be sure to keep us posted on how it turns out.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/brisketselect.html

Last edited:
I think Tim has the right idea, my last one was simple salt and pepper, never dried he one on a gasser but, hey something new is always fun. Leave it whole!

I've done several no roll or select briskets using the HH method on a WSM.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html

Gasser, I would keep the temps as close as possible ( maybe put it in a disposable aluminum pan) and lay on the smoke wood at the beginning.

Good luck!

Tim

Hrrrm. Interesting method. I might have to tinker with that a bit.

If you have a CooksIllustrated.com subsubscription (or the magazines...) they published a method in July, 2007 for gas grills.

Thanks guys. I will probably just go with the basic HH Brisket as Tim described. Seems like a simple and easy way to get my first brisket under my belt. Wish me luck, I will report back.

Oh, no, no, no... brisket is loaded with connective tissues, it's not a tender cut. It's far from done at 170. You have to get the collagen to melt. You can eat it at 170, but it's gonna be pretty tough.

Oh, OK, thanks for the explanation. I will run it up to 170 and the wrap it and flip it and cook for a couple more hours like it says. I assumed the internal temp was more for ensuring the meat was fully cooked at 170. But I guess it is just a milestone for wrapping and flipping the brisket. :)

As promised, I am filing my report on my first ever brisket.

Here it is just after putting on the grill with smoke.

q7lzPMC.jpg

kmGKnGp.jpg

Here it is after 1.5 hours

kvLaxVK.jpg

It took about 3.5 hours to hit 170 degrees in the middle

HaVJyQx.jpg

Here it is all done after flipping it an foiling it for another 2.5 hours it was up to 205 degrees. It looks a little over done.

AraavJg.jpg

But, that was certainly not the case. This was an extremely juicy, tender and flavorful mass of cow flesh.

XQqYAli.jpg

After my family tore into it. I have enough left over to feed 5 or 6 more people

Last edited:
Looks like it turned out great. Nice pics also. Garage looks like many of ours that rehab I'm sure.
Partially assemble grills, cleaning supplies and tools everywhere ..... LOL

Yah Rich. I am extremely happy how it came out. I was worried I might wind up turning a $30 cut of meat into dog food, but it was a winner. I will certainly do it again. Maybe wait until I have a big crowd to feed. $30 seems like a big investment, but you can hardly buy a couple 1lb Ribeyes for less. I am not trying to put brisket in the same class as Ribeye, but it isn't road kill either.

Because there is only two of us I only do a brisket once a year on Smoke Day so I'm no expert. But all three have turned out perfect and Barb and I eat off the leftovers for about six months. I still have a full point from the last one that's going to become burnt ends this fall for a football game or two.
Speaking of Ribeyes Safeway (Kroger) has whole in the bag Ribeyes for $3.97 Lb. and will cut them for free. They usually do it in March each year. It's pricy we paid $95 for ours but we got eight 1 1/2 inch thick steaks and two 2 bone roasts. If it was the regular sale price of $7.99 it would have been $190.

Last edited:
Even $7.99 per lb for Ribeye is a good deal. I can't imagine anyone selling it for $3.97 a lb.

Back