Poultry Fest (pic heavy)

Jeremy Calow

TVWBB Super Fan
Still have the itch to experiment and cook for folks, so had a couple of folks over for a few new recipes and a feast of chicken.

Menu was limited to some wings, roadside chicken and waffles, and an experimental fatty (more to come).

Wings were pretty straight forward, dusted with a rub I threw together using Stubbs Barbecue as a base with onion, garlic, jalapeno, spruce tip salt and black pepper added. Smoked for 90 mins on one side then flipped for another 45 at 240. They were delightfully smokey and spicy and still quite juicy.
I0000Uq_DUCteoT0.jpg

The roadside chicken was a hit, and this time I had used cider vinegar instead of white vinegar and was just dandy. Not sure it impacted flavour drastically but we were happy. Paired with some fluffy waffles this was a pretty decent main I'll say.
I0000vSzVhTh4mqA.jpg

I00008w25igPUhmE.jpg

I0000zMV2310sw_Y.jpg

Finally there was the fatty, so Friday morning in the office I had this mad scientist moment... What if I made a fatty that tasted like chicken wings? So I conjured up a buffalo wing seasoning which was used to turn 1 lbs of ground chicken breast into a buffalo wing sausage. From there I stuffed the sausage with Mozzarella, blue cheese, jalapenos, and celery. Rolled her up and dusted with some additional buffalo wing seasoning and put it on the kettle at 300 for a while w/ apple wood chunks. Nearing the latter stages I began to glaze this with wing sauce. I will say it was a sight to see when I pulled it, and then after resting carved this thing. It was pretty close to what I would expect, just missing the butter in the baste I think. Sausage came out almost exactly like I was thinking with the addition of vinegar in the sausage. Still need some tweaking to make this perfect but I am darn pleased with the out come!

I0000PjpsV1zeccg.jpg

I00002C8Ny0AOl98.jpg

I0000H1N0MOrCWCE.jpg

I0000ECNQvNg60Xc.jpg

I0000V3HiV6G.HnM.jpg

WOW! That looks delicious Jeremy. Chicken outstanding but that fatty over the top fantastic cook.

Great stuff here! It all looks great. I am definitely going to try the wings sometime this week.

Thanks folks, there was a bit of left overs this time cause we had someone leave early but it mostly got eaten. I forgot how much I miss making fatties hehe, I had a crowd as I did the weave and roll so it's obviously a favourite as well.

I like to keep a fat tie in the freezer to have handy if someone gives me a days notice! I think they keep their shape better if they’ve been frozen.

Back