Everything was perfectly aligned!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
After a week of health concerns for my wife, including “comprehensive reverse shoulder replacement” and some asides, I decided I really needed to tune into something positive. I decided that some pulled pork and an economical use of the heat should include some machaca!
Rubbed the butt with a 50/50 blend of tandoori seasoning and brown sugar (thanks TonyUK) and let that go for about two days, seasoned the chuck with something from another thread for 48 hours. I was dead tired after a day at the hospital getting wife home so, I just set up the 18” but, too tired to fire it.
Got up at about 6:30 and got everything touched off, loaded, and rolling, temps were running a tad warm(260-270) but, since I was feeling a little rushed I didn’t worry too much about it. About one, I pulled off the beef and slid it in the oven foiled in a braise of red onion, red bell pepper, garlic, fresh oregano and stock. Left that alone for the duration of the butts time.
Not one hiccup through the whole day, about 3:30, the butt read 205 so, off to the foil and cooler stage.
Pulled the bone out in one easy lift! I knew it was going to be a good one, pulled as easily as anyone could ask.
I had sides that needed some oven space so, I put the pan of beef back in the WSM while we had dinner and just let the coals burn out, shredded that and reduced the small amount of liquid a bit and zipped it up with my immersion blender, poured it over and might not have enough left for anything but a sample tomorrow! There is a danger of leaving things out a little bit while they cool enough to package and refrigerate! Mighty tasty!
It turned out to be a very relaxing day!

You cook like a seasoned pro. Here's hope for a full, quick recovery for your wife and endless more perfect smokes!

Tim, great to here you had a little R&R doing your cook after the stress of your wife's surgery. Sounds like some really good eats.
Barb and I wishing your wife a speedy recovery.

Thank you all! Today will be very low activity, she over did a little yesterday enjoying grandchildren!
I appreciate all the kindness. This week will be doctor wrangling, I wish it was going to be time enjoying the WSM!

Thank you all! Today will be very low activity, she over did a little yesterday enjoying grandchildren!
I appreciate all the kindness. This week will be doctor wrangling, I wish it was going to be time enjoying the WSM!

I know what your talking about. Between my cardiologist, my foot doctor and the surgeon for my hernia for three weeks I was seeing a doctor every other day except weekends. Not fun!

Yep, she had some atrial fibrillation issues just prior to shoulder installation so there was much gnashing of teeth about whether or not it was safe to do the surgery, changed her meds to insanely expensive stuff without even looking at her! It took a long time to finally get some things sorted out, now the dance to get things dialed in between the orthopedic surgeon, cardiologist, oncologist/hematologist, and “regular” doctor.
Such an exercise in tail chasing, a dog would not perform!

Back