Trying The Meater in Rotisserie Chicken

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Trying the Meater wireless probe thermometer on a rotisserie chicken. Full report soon.

U3mXPAH.jpg

qoH5AvQ.png

Experiment ends abruptly. Meater sound alerts that ambient temp exceeds maximum level for unit safety. Grease flare-ups creating black soot on chicken skin. Test cancelled. Need to learn to walk before running...haven't rotisseried a chicken in forever. Cooking over medium heat rendering so much fat that it's flaring. Obviously don't know the right temp for my Summit. In the meantime, removed the probe and returned chicken over lower heat and it's still flaring. It's a good quality chicken, SmartChicken air-dried, must contain a bunch of fat. Disappointing.

Qu9CbWg.jpg

Thanks for this post Chris. Sorry you were disappointed but it looks like the issue here was grill related. I'm sure your next cook will fare much better, regarding the Meater I mean. Looks like a pretty cool little gadget and reasonably priced. Might just give it a try.

I wish someone established--such as Thermoworks--would introduce one of these. Those may seem harsh words directed at a new company but Meater has advertised the Block at least since 4Q17 (that's when I recall first visiting their web site), yet still is in pre-prod and takes your money up-front if you order now. At least that's how they have been stating it on their site.

The folks making the Meater are a startup. They had an idea and used Kickstarter to raise funds. I got in on the ground floor and ordered mine. Yes it's taken along time to develop but, I would rather wait than get an inferior product. They are selling the single meaters now and the 6 probe block should be out soon.

I've decided to give it a try. The price is right ($69 with Amazon Prime) and I like the bluetooth or wifi connectivity. I use my rotisserie quite a lot and think it would be fun. Heck, I spend $25 on a box of beer and don't think twice.

Experiment ends abruptly. Meater sound alerts that ambient temp exceeds maximum level for unit safety. Grease flare-ups creating black soot on chicken skin. Test cancelled. Need to learn to walk before running...haven't rotisseried a chicken in forever. Cooking over medium heat rendering so much fat that it's flaring. Obviously don't know the right temp for my Summit. In the meantime, removed the probe and returned chicken over lower heat and it's still flaring. It's a good quality chicken, SmartChicken air-dried, must contain a bunch of fat. Disappointing.

Qu9CbWg.jpg

Chris, we do rotisserie on the Weber Gas as well as on the 22 often - My thought is, because without a drip pan, you probably experienced a little grease crises causing your tool to buzz .... You mentioned a Summit, I don't know the clearance on those, but for us common folks, rocking the humble Genesis, we need to remove the grates, and place the pan directly on the 'flavorizer bars' - We then cook indirect at 375 - should take about 1.5 hours for a 4 to 4.5 lb bird- they'll be perfect!

I hope you find the range to be adequate; I have been waiting on the Block out of an uneducated concern about the range without the WiFi extender.

Yeah, I've been reading through all the comments on Amazon. Around 70% are positive, but the negative comments do center around inadequate range. It's difficult to determine if those providing comments, positive or negative, are proficient with wifi and bluetooth issues or are just using sub-par home network systems. I might just wait and see what Chris has to say after his next Meater cook.

Back