Looking for a history of Performer grills ... as I want to buy one,

As far as real differences, I'm seeing:

1) With or without propane assist - I think I want this
2) With stainless or fiberglass work surfaces (I lean towards stainless, but I don't know which is ''better'' ...)

The other differences appear more subtle to me. I'm not too worried about thermometer mount or handle material.

The two pictures below are just the two that are on the local craigslist. The black one is $75, but 2 hours drive away (I don't have 4 hours spare to go collect). The ad says it has ''gas start option'', but it's not as obvious as the blue one. The other is $200, and closer. $200 is more than I want to spend this early in the search, and I'm happy to wait.

Anyways, is there a good ''history of performer grills'' or can someone point me to any resource? Also trying to work out how these used prices compare to equivalent new grills.

Thanks

Screen_Shot_2018_08_03_at_4_04_19_PM.png
[/url][/IMG]

Screen_Shot_2018_08_03_at_4_00_10_PM.png
[/url][/IMG]

Thank you, that's just what I needed.

1) I didn't realize the SS were so much older
2) The pictures I have appear to be a Gen2 and a Gen4.

I was looking, but not seriously, about 18 months ago, and saw Gen2's for $50. If the Gen4 was $150, I think I'd go for that, just knowing that there'd likely be fewer parts to replace to get going. My $30 Genesis 1000 ended up costing about what a Spirit 2 burner would have cost new, once I went the RCPlaner route.

Thanks again for the link. Very useful info.

Get the Blue, you can thank me later.

I believe the blue is the $MSRP399 one, as it has gas start?

The history said that Weber saved costs by changing from proper refillable propane tanks to the single use Coleman ones. Is there a way to convert to regular propane bottles?

I think I will grab this blue gen4, or a new one from Lowes with some coupons and giftcards I have.

Thanks,

Mine is pre performer (no gas assist) and heavily modified. I would not discourage you from either purchase! You will have years of enjoyment from whichever route you follow.
There are several modifications for the gas assist I think the adaptation for the 20 lb. tank is the wise route!
Enjoy whatever you buy!

Love my plastic table and gas lite,never going to rust ,bought the son 1 for xmas,gold color gas lite and the cooking grates are very heavy duty with the gourmet system $400 I think it was.Would drive the 2 hrs if I wanted 1 even though the other is nice

I believe the blue is the $MSRP399 one, as it has gas start?

The history said that Weber saved costs by changing from proper refillable propane tanks to the single use Coleman ones. Is there a way to convert to regular propane bottles?

I think I will grab this blue gen4, or a new one from Lowes with some coupons and giftcards I have.

Thanks,

I have the adapter to use 20# tanks. That and a tank cover and base, love this setup.

As far as real differences, I'm seeing:

1) With or without propane assist - I think I want this
2) With stainless or fiberglass work surfaces (I lean towards stainless, but I don't know which is ''better'' ...)

The other differences appear more subtle to me. I'm not too worried about thermometer mount or handle material.

The two pictures below are just the two that are on the local craigslist. The black one is $75, but 2 hours drive away (I don't have 4 hours spare to go collect). The ad says it has ''gas start option'', but it's not as obvious as the blue one. The other is $200, and closer. $200 is more than I want to spend this early in the search, and I'm happy to wait.

Anyways, is there a good ''history of performer grills'' or can someone point me to any resource? Also trying to work out how these used prices compare to equivalent new grills.

Thanks

Screen_Shot_2018_08_03_at_4_04_19_PM.png
[/url][/IMG]

Screen_Shot_2018_08_03_at_4_00_10_PM.png
[/url][/IMG]

Get the blue one, the blue is a lot cooler

realistically, you're comparing 2 different generations, but the differences are a bit minor.
the plastic tables crack at the screws. There is no handle to move the grill around, so people grab the table, the table isn't sturdy enough. The Steel table on the blue one is superior in my mind. Thermometer is really asthetics

The Blue one is the current generation Performer and is probably "worth" around $200. The black one is 2 generations old and is probably "worth" less, maybe $125 or so. The $75 is a steal, but its 2 hours away and its black with the plastic table.

I paid more than I should have for a Gen 3 Blue grill and paid 150-$175ish. But then had to replace the table, grates, wire shelf and a rusted leg. if i could have done it again, I would have paid $200 all day for one in borderline perfect condition one that I didn't have to work on.

Don't discount the first generation ones (aka SSPs). They have beefy frames (compared to the later generation models), a nice stainless top that doubles has a work surface, nice colors, etc etc.

Thank you, that's just what I needed.

1) I didn't realize the SS were so much older
2) The pictures I have appear to be a Gen2 and a Gen4.

I was looking, but not seriously, about 18 months ago, and saw Gen2's for $50. If the Gen4 was $150, I think I'd go for that, just knowing that there'd likely be fewer parts to replace to get going. My $30 Genesis 1000 ended up costing about what a Spirit 2 burner would have cost new, once I went the RCPlaner route.

Thanks again for the link. Very useful info.

FWIW, just about all of the differences between the Gen2 and Gen4 are stylistic to some degree. Gen4 has the metal table which some prefer. Also, the newer lid bale allows the lid to stand straight up instead of at a bit of an angle. But, you can always buy those and swap it onto a Gen2. IF (and this is a big IF) a Gen2 has been well cared for, there's little reason to pay substantially more for a Gen4. I'd take a clean/nice Gen2 for $50 over a $150 Gen4 in similar condition all day long. Personally, I prefer the look of the Gen2 with the mirror finished front panel instead of the drab grayish one on the Gen4. Performers aren't really like a Genny 1000 or Silver/Gold. There are fewer "consumable" parts that would normally need to be replaced. Aside from the aforementioned "upgrades", you usually only have to replace the $20 cooking grate.

Picked up the blue one tonight. Paid $120, and came with a $5 bag of charcoal.

Condition is okay. It's not been used much at all, but spent summers outside and only winters inside. Still, looking at local prices, with better pictures and selling in the Spring, I think I can sell for at least what I paid for it if the whole charcoal thing doesnt work out.

Off to Walmart for some $5 30lb charcoal this weekend.

Thanks for the info everyone.

I only had a little time last night, but this grill was not really put together by the best person.

-Handle bolts loose and took 1 min to tighten.
-The support for the lid holding ring was installed incorrectly (fix tonight).
-I'm not sure what's going on with the propane. I hear the piezo going, I smell the gas, but didnt start. I only spent 1 min in the garage, so that'll be a job for the weekend. Really though, I don't mind. So long as it has the propane start, I can always replace the piezo.
-I'm sure there are other things to sort out. I'll hope to have time to clean it up and get it looking it's best in the Fall.

When I get to WalMart soon for the charcoal, I'll grab some simple green and 0000 steel wool to clean it up more. And maybe a cover, or one from Amazon.

I'd pay 120 for that all day. Nice score! I bet it cleans up beautifully. It already looks great in the before picture!

On the igniter, take a look from below while pressing the igniter to make sure you are getting a spark. Then, from above, turn on the gas and try to light the end of the tube manually. If you get a spark AND you can light manually, then the problem is most likely the alignment of the orifice. The flow of the gas coming out of the orifice has to go directly through the spark, otherwise, it won't ignite. Being "close" doesn't cut it. I found this out on my Camp Chef stove. I could look right at the burner and see the spark when I hit the igniter, could hear the gas flowing and could light manually, but it just wouldn't ignite with the spark. I bent the electrode a bit so that the spark occurred right over one of the openings of the burner and that fixed it.

Later, I ran into this very issue with a Performer. I went underneath, pulled the clip holding the hose/orifice in place, adjusted it then clipped into place. That fixed the problem. Could also look at adjusting the electrode instead.

I'd pay 120 for that all day. Nice score! I bet it cleans up beautifully. It already looks great in the before picture!

Yeah, I agree. I was going to be happy at $149 (they'd dropped their asking), but when I saw that only two people had ''hearted'' the listing and it had been up three weeks, I thought a $120 offer wasn't too rude. I'm really happy to have the stability of the table (I have a 1 year old and 4 year old boy), and it should be easier to move around, and propane lighter, and charcoal bin ... A lot of extra's over the basic kettle.

I did have to pop one of the wheel nuts off to fit it into the car, so have to go to Ace to pick up a replacement. At least they're hidden, so doesnt matter if they only have white.

Looking forward to trying this out this weekend.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

On the igniter, take a look from below while pressing the igniter to make sure you are getting a spark. Then, from above, turn on the gas and try to light the end of the tube manually. If you get a spark AND you can light manually, then the problem is most likely the alignment of the orifice. The flow of the gas coming out of the orifice has to go directly through the spark, otherwise, it won't ignite. Being "close" doesn't cut it. I found this out on my Camp Chef stove. I could look right at the burner and see the spark when I hit the igniter, could hear the gas flowing and could light manually, but it just wouldn't ignite with the spark. I bent the electrode a bit so that the spark occurred right over one of the openings of the burner and that fixed it.

Later, I ran into this very issue with a Performer. I went underneath, pulled the clip holding the hose/orifice in place, adjusted it then clipped into place. That fixed the problem. Could also look at adjusting the electrode instead.

Thanks, I'll give it a go this weekend. I can't believe it's that bad ... it's only 3 years old and probably been used less than a dozen times.

Well are you up and running? igniter is a easy fix most of the time

So far only one grill, which went well. Temp stayed 350F, and wouldn't go up. I need to read more about the best way to approach the amount of charcoal and the vents etc.

I ordered new hub cap, the match holder shown for cleaning igniter, and one other thing I cannot remember. I need to replace the plastic panel that the timer clips into, as the clips were brittle and broken.

The igniter seems an easy fix, I just didn't have a chance so far.

Definitely glad I got the cart version, as the space is nice to have.

Thanks

Slightly off topic but, does anyone have any experience with using a Pizzaque on a gen 1 performer (pre performer actually)
I have a line on one which I might need to snag tomorrow if the table will endure the high temp that the gizmo says it will attain.
I just picked up a 1984 kettle and slipped the unit on but, the carriage/table set up appeals to me. Should I hold off, dive in, or just have a cocktail?
I think I know what you enabling wildcats will tell me but, I thought I’d ask?

Back