Tried a new Pulled Pork recipe

BrianCal

TVWBB Pro
Saw an interesting PP recipe on TV, tried to remember it and re-create, although of course on TV they don't give measurements or anything

Step 1, Italian dressing, separate out the solids from the oil part.

0rlIoiC.jpg

Once separated, used the oil as an injection, and saved the solids for the rub.

hUQ36x9.jpg

9Q67wxM.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, a little slow tonight, first time trying the new pic uploading since the switch away from photobucket.

Here's the rub recipe. Like I said they were guesses, but having done enough it's fairly logical which are bigger quantities, (like salt) vs smaller ones (like cumin)

1/2 cup
Salt
Sugar
Italian dressing solids

2 teaspoons
Onion powder
Dried Minced garlic
Spanish paprika
Chili powder
Crushed red pepper
White pepper

1/4 teaspoon
Cumin
Coriander

3MXYFgr.jpg

q8FraIO.jpg

Last edited:
Rubbed it the night before, then fired up the coals early for an all day smoke (and perfectly built excuse to not go on errands on Saturday)

Smoked at 225-250 for 10 hours, using hickory chips for smoke, then at 300 for one more hour. Wrapped in tin foil at 160.

When it came off, left it wrapped in the cooler for about 90 minutes

cdrMwhp.jpg

YOZzyYj.jpg

Last edited:
I knew it was going to be special when I lifted it off the smoker, I was having trouble keeping the meat together inside the tin foil.

ax04yjU.jpg

Ultimately, amazing. Had two different friends tell me it was the best PP the EVER had, including one who is a chef who makes it for his restaurant. And I have had his, which is delicious, even for oven cooked !!

Did it again the next weekend, just to try and create some muscle memory for myself. Was just as good.

Sounds awesome, and looks great. That finished chunk before going into the foil has a fried chicken look to the exterior which again, sounds awesome.
I may have to try something like this as well, great work!

Clever idea for the rub and injection. Looks absolutely fantastic Brian. Nice job and nice dodge on Saturday's errands too!

Brian, that sounds and looks delicious. Will have to give that one a try, thanks for sharing it with us.

Have to agree with Barb. We just made a PP but I do have another butt in the freezer so it will get the call when we do it.

Brian, quick question. Did you pull it off and wrap it in tin foil after the 300 degree hour or was wrapped in tin foil for the 300 degree hour then put in the cooler.

I like this alot. I do an Italian pulled pork but this brings it to a whole nother level!

Tim

@Rich I wrapped it at about 160, so it was already in the foil by the time the last hour came. And the 300 temp at the end wasn't originally planned, it was just talking a long time to get those last 5-10 degrees (wanted to take it off the smoker at 205), and I had to get somewhere.

Back