Costco's sliced pork belly made into bacon

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
First time buying the sliced belly, didn't feel like messing with a whole one.
Bonus is that you can pick out some nice lean to fat pieces, but it does cost more per pound.
5 day MTQ cure, 4.5 hour sweet cherry wood smoke (Fruitawood) one piece with raw cane sugar and cinnamon.

Some of the plain on my egg, cheese, tomato, and bacon McBob.

I'm very pleased with how this turned out, and happy you stopped by!

That's different, I assume the curing and temps etc. are the same as a slab. Just picked up a slab at Costco on Wednesday. Didn't see anything like what you have.
Your McBob with a tomato sounds interesting, I'll have to try that.

Well it's interesting that you call that "sliced" because our Costco's sell pork belly sliced like bacon. I wonder how many people get that home and fry it up and wonder why it has no salt, no sweet, no smoke flavor?

I like that they're selling it in "chunks" in your neck of the woods.

Well it's interesting that you call that "sliced" because our Costco's sell pork belly sliced like bacon. I wonder how many people get that home and fry it up and wonder why it has no salt, no sweet, no smoke flavor?

I like that they're selling it in "chunks" in your neck of the woods.
Sliced like bacon is how they sold it here too, so I always passed until I saw this.
Maybe complaints about it not tasting like bacon changed the way they cut it, at least here in StL.

I like the addition of tomato. Pammi makes me something similar when we go camping, except it's done in a CI skillet on our stove top in the RV. I may ask her to add the tomato next week when we go to Asheville!

Back