Gasket throws off hinge alignment

EricS

Hello all--

First time poster, brand-new WSM owner. I've gotten myself into a pickle and could use some advice.

I got myself a brand new 18 inch WSM after doing a lot of research, and got a lot of bells and whistles to go with it--the upgraded door from Cajun Bandit, and a hinge and gasket kit. The install on the hinge went well--I was worried about the alignment--but what I didn't think about was the additional offset that the gasket would cause. So, after installing the gasket, I followed Harry Soo's advice and did a high heat burnoff...only to watch smoke pouring out from around most of the lid, which now doesn't close tightly because of the gasket.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a fix to this? My only thought so far is to add more gasket around the leaking area to try to "ramp up" to meet the lid. Since the gasket's only about a 16th of an inch thick, there's no way I can think of to move the hinge, since the mounting holes would just have to be sort of oval-ized, and might not hold in place.

Feel about as dumb as I can, and really disappointed. I'd appreciate any fix ideas anybody has.

Thanks,
Eric

Well, I'll tell you this. I got the gasket kit too but never got the hinge. The gasket eventually will wear out and start to leak and you'll eventually find that it doesn't matter. So you could take off the gasket. Your other option is to unscrew the the hinge a little bit and see if there's enough play in between the holes and screws to get the shift you need. If you have to drill out the holes a little on the hinge side. I'd do that. Add some lock washers and it will hold in place.

Last edited:
Ok, so you installed the hinge then added the gasket and now your hinge-bound? ( meaning the door ( or in your case) the lid doesn't close > binding on the hinge side)
Doors we usually shim or add washers to the front or the back of a hinge to throw it forward or backwards depending where it binds. You could try adding two washers to the bottom bolts between the hinge and body and see if that kicks it more forward.
I dunno if that would work seeing your dealing with a circle that drops down.
I like Dustin's idea of just loosening it up and let it fall into place and see if you can re tighten or go with a slightly larger hole like 9/32 19/64 or 5/16.
Me, if the gap is huge I would remove all of the lower bolts and set the lid down firmly, then swing the hinge down and see how far off your original holes are.
If you can see half a hole then making it larger would work ( add fender washers and lock washers) If you can't see the hole then do a re-drill, you can kick the lid off center by a 1/4" left or right if needed, and again add fender and lock washers.

Don't feel dumb, I'm a Carpenter and have plenty of experience fixing my own screw ups .:)

Tim

Last edited:
I think i would enlarge the holes. A rat tail file would probably work. I have carbon burrs,but they are kind of expensive. Close the lid,and tighten the hinge bolts. Maybe you can reach the nuts inside with it closed through the door. Or get someone to help. If you get them tight it shouldn't move. It's going to be hard to get it to seal right ,and line up if you are tightening things down with the lid open.
Or just abandon the gasket idea. After several cooks,gunk will build up around the seam.
I bought mine used and it came with the hinge already installed. Those hinges sure are nice,and well worth having.

Hey all--I haven't disappeared, just been busy. Still having the problem, hoping to try a fix this weekend. Thank you all for the suggestions--I'll report back when I've screwed it up more--wait, I mean fixed it.

Hi all--

A trip to The Big Orange Box and a quick consult makes it look like the best option is indeed a rat tail file and some elbow grease. New file is sitting in the garage awaiting its chance this weekend. Should be a relatively simple if somewhat labor intensive process. Thanks all!

Back