The Weirdest Canadian Bacon Cook Ever

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I’ve made a lot of Canadian bacon and also follow the same steps.
Cure with tender quick and spices for seven days, rinse real well, let sit naked in the fridge overnight.
Run the mini at 250-260 in 3-3 ½ hours it hits 135-140. Quick cool in an ice bath and it’s ready.

Not yesterday had 2 pieces of pork loin one 3 pounder and the other was 3 ½ pounds.
Started the cook at 9am about 11:30am it hit 129 an hour later 129 at 1pm 129, that’s 4 hours. Thought maybe the probe in the maverick was going south got my thermopop, yep 129, got my other thermopop same thing.
Brought my spare maverick out with it's grate probe and measured the grate matched the other one perfectly both reading 256.
Bumped the mini up to 280 at 2:30 still at 129. Bumped the mini up to 300 at 3:00pm 129 let it run until 3:30 still 129 on the maverick and both thermopops.
Pulled them after 6 ½ hours and figured they were a total loss.
Today sliced them just to see if they would be like cardboard, nope perfect. Fried some up for an egg McRich tender and very tasty.

I can’t believe that two small pork loins would stall for 4 hours and the high temps didn’t do a thing.
Any ideas or just blame it on weird voodoo.

42866866055_a1e3b881a8_z.jpg
[/url]100_3696 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this story Rich. I have two 3.5 pork loins in the fridge in a wet cure as we speak. Planning on doing them this weekend. This will be my first try at CB.

Thanks for sharing this story Rich. I have two 3.5 pork loins in the fridge in a wet cure as we speak. Planning on doing them this weekend. This will be my first try at CB.

Pat, Canadian bacon is sort of like pork butt, kind of hard to screw up, very forgiving. As my thread shows. I'm still amazed that it turned out so well.
Good luck with your cook and let us know how it turns out.

Pat, Canadian bacon is sort of like pork butt, kind of hard to screw up, very forgiving. As my thread shows. I'm still amazed that it turned out so well.
Good luck with your cook and let us know how it turns out.

Good to know. I think if mine stalled like yours I would be freaking out a bit. I'll post up the cook this weekend.

What a weird stall. It may be the air was just super, super dry and evaporative cooling was working VERY well. I think more humidity will make the stall temp higher, if I remember correctly. I'm just brainstorming here and guessing.

Back