Spray Duck Fat?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I just picked up a can of this stuff from Plaths in Rogers City, did some sausages and eggs with it for lunch the other day, nice stuff.
Have any of you folks used it, and if so, what we’re your results.
It’s from “Cornhuskers” they also offer 10 pound tubs of rendered duck fat as well.
It’s not cheap ($10 a can) but, the sausages developed a lovely crust!
I tried it on some chicken but, I was a little distracted after my wife broker her arm on vacation!
I’ll report back as I gather more results.

Edit:
Just for fun I hit some burgers with the stuff last night, release was perfect, trust was excellent! I will continue the exploration of the stuff.

Last edited:
Seriously, no one has used this stuff!!!!
I’m not pitching or catching here. But, the high heat capacity is pretty good for direct heat applications, I kind of feel like Jack with beans, the stuff is from Iowa, ten bucks a can, all natural, NFI on my part, they also sell tubs of duck fat for deep frying.
I’m just surprised that this has gotten almost 200 views and NO ONE has used the stuff.
Sleep well,
T

I have not used it but was interested in this when I saw it on a YouTube channel I sub to. Let me see when I get home which one it was. When I did see it in the video I was a little taken back that it was an spray can :)

OK, September 30 and one person appears to know about this stuff, fascinating!
I have used it in skillet frying applications and am pretty well pleased with the end result. I have used it as “steak lube” (as disgusting as that might sound) once and, it did a wonderful job but, is it worth $10.00 a can? I can’t say if it helped in any form of a release agent but, it did indeed help in the adhesion of salt, pepper and garlic.
I suppose that’s about all the information I can share, not what I might consider a glowing recommendation but, it about all I can offer.

There’s no echo when you quack it!
I’ve used it several times as a skillet slicker, it works well enough, the two cans I have will last me a long time at this rate.

Have wanted to try. Just haven't seen it or ordered it yet online. Trying to quit ordering everything online where $100 is free shipping. I seem to always hit that mark when I don't need to.

I think some of the SCA steak guys use it.

I've never heard of it but will have to check the next time I'm in the store. Is Plath's a higher-end store? Spray duck fat doesn't seem like something a small-town Piggly Wiggly would carry.;)

Also, because it's an animal fat how does it retain its solubility at room temperature? All the spray oils I've seen seem to be plant-based.

Plaths is a two office (one in Petosky, one in Rogers City) butcher shop in the upper part of the lower peninsula. I shop there for some pretty amazing smoked pork products when we are at my sister in law’s cottage.
I have no clue about why it maintains solubility at room temperature and does not require refrigeration. It’s interesting. The butcher said he likes to use it on a steak before he grills one, I didn’t notice any real advantage or any hint of flavor so, as a neutral, light, pan lubricant I guess it’s as good as any. I’m still trying to form a better opinion, I don’t use much of that sort of thing anyway but, this seems pretty good for a quick spray for fried eggs.
Check the “cornhuksers” web site I note in the original post, I don’t remember what shipping was like.
Just did a quick google search, Walmart seems to have it for nearer nine bucks.

Last edited:
I'm on my second can of this stuff; I like it, but I'm still not sure it is worth the price. I've sprayed my onions and peppers (for fajitas) with it as well. Seems to give off a nice subtle flavor, but again I'm not totally convinced of its worth vs. the price.

The thing is, the stuff can take a LOT of heat before smoke point, I’m thinking vortex steak. Applied to steak, not grill, of course.
I like the fajita vegetable application, spray blistering hotcast iron, zammo! Hot toasty browned veg!

Back