Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spray Duck Fat?

TVWBB All-Star
    I've never heard of it but will have to check the next time I'm in the store. Is Plath's a higher-end store? Spray duck fat doesn't seem like something a small-town Piggly Wiggly would carry.

Also, because it's an animal fat how does it retain its solubility at room temperature? All the spray oils I've seen seem to be plant-based.

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Plaths is a two office (one in Petosky, one in Rogers City) butcher shop in the upper part of the lower peninsula. I shop there for some pretty amazing smoked pork products when we are at my sister in law’s cottage.
    I have no clue about why it maintains solubility at room temperature and does not require refrigeration. It’s interesting. The butcher said he likes to use it on a steak before he grills one, I didn’t notice any real advantage or any hint of flavor so, as a neutral, light, pan lubricant I guess it’s as good as any. I’m still trying to form a better opinion, I don’t use much of that sort of thing anyway but, this seems pretty good for a quick spray for fried eggs.
    Check the “cornhuksers” web site I note in the original post, I don’t remember what shipping was like.
    Just did a quick google search, Walmart seems to have it for nearer nine bucks.
    Last edited by Timothy F. Lewis; 10-23-2018 at 09:58 AM.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

I'm on my second can of this stuff; I like it, but I'm still not sure it is worth the price. I've sprayed my onions and peppers (for fajitas) with it as well. Seems to give off a nice subtle flavor, but again I'm not totally convinced of its worth vs. the price.
    22.5" and 22" LE kettle

TVWBB Diamond Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    The thing is, the stuff can take a LOT of heat before smoke point, I’m thinking vortex steak. Applied to steak, not grill, of course.
    I like the fajita vegetable application, spray blistering hotcast iron, zammo! Hot toasty browned veg!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12