Genesis Gold lid interior rust problem

Dave in KC

TVWBB Wizard
I just picked up a Weber Genesis Gold Grill slum a lady that turned vegan. I love those folks. LOL LOL! Anyways the interior of the lid has a second layer that is deteriorated really bad. The entire surface of it is extremely rusted and there are in fact at least two holes big enough to stick your thumb through. Just doing a quick Google search I see this seems to be a common problem however the items I'm seeing are quite old and everyone's solution was to contact Weber to get a warranty replacement. Obviously I don't have that luxury so does anyone here have any ideas what to do about this problem?

Dave, maybe post up some photos. So we can see what you are talking about. Is the lid stainless steel? What year is the grill?

Last edited:
That second layer is spot welded and you can take it off several large chunks at a time with a pair of pliers. Note: the outer layer may discolor, but it's better than having rusty chunks of metal possibly fall in to your food.

I dont have pics at the moment. I dropped it off at my sons, as I simply don't have room for it at the moment. It is the stainless lid.
I guess I could find a scapper/ parts grill and snag the lid from it, but would really like to find a way to replace the liner in this one.

The liner isn't available as a separate part and Weber doesn't have the "Gold" Stainless lids any more. If they were to replace it, it would be with an enameled one. Best bet is to try and find another lid like you said, or take Jkim's advice and remove it. IIRC, on some of them, the liner is held in with bolts.

IIRC, on some of them, the liner is held in with bolts.

I believe that to be true on this one. If it is, and with in budget, I may simply buy a new piece
of stainless, and try to fabricate a new one. Overall the rest of the unit has great bones.
New flavorizers still in the box. I plan to install new burners, and possibly grates. This has the
"stainless" grates, however they are rust covered. Can they be restored to "like new"?

That piece is not worth trying to save or replace. It's only there for cosmetic reasons. The lid being stainless is prone to bluing a little. The inner shield only serves to forestall that. Just take it off and grill away. If the lid blues a little so what?

If you are on a budget, I agree with larry. Just forgo the liner, or just find a nice pretty enameled lid and replace it. Much cheaper and less hassle in the long run.

Stainless can corrode over time, so your grates may be toast, but more than likely, some oven cleaner and brillo pad will clean them up. Or, easier yet, an angle grinder with a wire cup brush or even drill with a wire brush will bring them back in no time.

I ran over to my sons before work this morning and snapped a few pics.

uL4y03pl.jpg

oAcjzFil.jpg

Bv6W3iIl.jpg

9lwQKcJl.jpg

I was wrong. Upon closer inspection (with my glasses on this time) the piece
most certainly is welded in. :(
This will a be flip, not a keeper, so budget is somewhat of a concern. Just would
like to make/keep as original as possible.

What is the specific model # on this? Gold C? 3000? 3100? 3300? Sure wish there was
a quick easy reference source to distinguish between models.

I beleive it is a Gold C.

Locate the serial number. It might be on the bottom of the control panel or possibly on the right edge of it between the control panel and extra burner. It could be other places as well. If you find the sticker with the serial number, it is the key to finding all the info about your grill. Year, model and specific options.

Here is a photo of the serial number tag on a Silver C that I rehabbed earlier this spring. It was on the reverse side of the panel behind the propane tank scale.

PvNMKeQ.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think they were ever welded in. Riveted most likely. In any case a small angle grinder and cutoff wheel will make proper work of that liner

I don't think they were ever welded in. Riveted most likely. In any case a small angle grinder and cutoff wheel will make proper work of that liner

They are welded in. I had a few of these so far. Just got another one where the inner liner is even worse. All welds on one side rusted away. The inner liner came off. I grind them off on the other side and refurbish it with no liner. Also looks nicer then.

Back