Let me (re)introduce myself

Jayde

I found this site a few years ago. My grill was literally being held together by duck tape and bricks. I wanted my new grill to be a Weber, but my wallet and husband were not happy with a $500+ price tag. After scouring Craigslist, I found a '97 Genesis 1000 for $60. After a quick "lipstick" rehab, some new grates and new flavorizer bars from rcplanebuyer, I was grilling again. Its been about 3½ years and its really time to do a full restore on my grill, including replacing my Durawood slats with real wood.

Last week I was at my local Goodwill and they had a '00 Genesis 1000 in really good shape. Minimal rust, but it as filthy inside. It looks like it was garage kept, but never cleaned. Best part, real wood slats and the z-brackets are in great shape! For $30 I couldn't pass it up. My plan is to take the best parts of both grills and rebuild her and use the extra frame to build a combo grilling/potting cart.

Fast forward to this past Friday on another Goodwill visit, I found a 22" Kettle Grill for $20. I wonder if the same person donated them because again minimal rust, great shape, but FILTHY inside (and I never see Webers at Goodwill...ever). It has all the parts, including he manuals. It's a 2010 One Touch Gold. Problem is, I have ZERO clue how to cook with charcoal but I want to learn. I had been looking at getting a kettle for a while and even went to look at a few that turned out to be in pretty rough shape. My father in law has a Performer with gas assist, and he's going to show me the ropes once I get my new baby all cleaned up and ready to go.

Two grills in 2 weeks and my husband has officially banned me from Goodwill.

I will be going the kettle clean up first as it looks like thats all it needs. I'll hold off doing my Genesis grill(s) until the weather cools so I can take my time.

Happy grilling y'all!

Welcome aboard Jayde. You found 2 great finds at Goodwill and you have a tutor to teach you the ropes with charcoal. Lots of good folks here willing to help if you have a question. BTW, tell your husband that the grills are hurricane supplies so you can cook post hurricane. :wsm: My wife just gives me "the look" when I use that to justify BBQ stuff but she goes along with it. Again, welcome aboard and hope you stay a long time.

Back