Hope Cliff and others in the Redding, CA area are safe

Hope Cliff and Family are Okay With the Fires Near Redding

Fast moving fire in Redding near where Cliff lives, last post 3pm yesterday. Hope all is okay.

Heard and saw it on the news. Was thinking about him & family. We too hope that all is okay.

Yea that fire is out of control just like the Ferguson fire in the Sierra's.... Rusty lake Mead is no where near where Cliff lives... Other direction

Barbs brother used to own property in Shingletown which is a small town with a population of around 2500. If I remember right it's about 30 -40 miles from Redding. USA Today said it burned and if that's the Carr fire and it's also destroying homes in Redding that's one huge fire.

Article within the last hour:
"The Carr Fire burning in Shasta County near Redding has nearly doubled in size overnight, growing to over 80,000 acres as of Saturday morning. The fire is threatening almost 5,000 structures, according to Cal Fire. It has also prompted new mandatory evacuations.

The fire has destroyed 500 structures and damaged 75 others. 37,000 people have been forced from their homes."
http://abc7news.com/carr-fire-near-redding-grows-to-over-80000-acres/3838881/

Lots of folks already evacuated, and it's not looking good.

Once again, thanks for the thoughts and concerns everyone. My wife and I and our family also in the area, are fine, for the moment. I've seen many nasty fires here over the past many years, but I don't think I have seen any as nasty as this one. The potential for it worsening during the upcoming week make it particularly scary. The fire started this past Monday by the Carr Power House, west of Redding and Whiskeytown Lake. It remained fairly manageable for a couple of days and then Wednesday night it doubled in size to 40,'000 acres. Thursday was a bad day, air quality here putrid, and then Thursday night the winds out of the west picked up and the fire roared into west Redding. Things settled down at that point. There was a lot of inaccurate information posted on social media that caused some panic and confusion, regarding what was burning and where the evacuations were taking place. Our County Sheriff had to release a statement advising people of the inaccuracy of these postings. (FYI Rich, Shingletown did not burn and is not in the fire area) No alerts through last night but just got one about 10 minutes ago that more homes are burning west of Redding. Also an alert that the fire again doubled in size overnight and is now over 80,000 acres. It's a mess folks. I appreciate your concern. We're hoping for the best. Right now it doesn't look too bad for us..... I'm knocking on wood. Not so for the other poor souls across town. Two firefighters have lost their lives and I don't have a count on injuries. I've attached a few pictures. These are from our newspaper and some of you following on line may have already seen them. We've been blanketed in smoke here at the house for four days and I haven't been able to take any, and besides, my camera and equipment are packed and in the ready area by the front door along with other valuables and keepsakes...... just in case.

Looking to the west from Redding.

8f9c9eb0-7645-4d0b-9649-b96485b371b9-JimChurch.jpg

Whiskeytown Lake, looking west.

636681992035460453-4Q5B8524.jpg

West of Redding.

636683666476356894-CarrFireFridayEvening-hvu02.JPG

Last edited:
Great to hear from you Cliff and things are okay so far. Hope they get a handle on it soon. Also glad to here that Whiskeytown didn't burn down, kind of liked going up there. Although I reread the USA today article and they do say it burned... FAKE NEWS!

Stay Safe.

Also glad to here that Whiskeytown didn't burn down, kind of liked going up there.

I said Shingletown didn't burn down Rich. In your comment you posted at 8:30 you mentioned you'd read that Shingletown burned down. It did not and is not in the fire area. Whiskeytown is in the center of of the fire area and I'm not sure what's left standing there.

I said Shingletown didn't burn down Rich. In your comment you posted at 8:30 you mentioned you'd read that Shingletown burned down. It did not and is not in the fire area. Whiskeytown is in the center of of the fire area and I'm not sure what's left standing there.

My bad, I got the two confused Shingletown was the one I was concerned with. Not even familiar with Whiskeytown, another senior moment. Thanks for clarifying that.

My wife just told me about these fires because she knew I'd been mentioning Cliff at times with all the crazy hot weather they get down there. Terrible news, stay safe.

It's 20 years ago this summer that we had the experience of helping pack up my in-law's household due to possible evacuation for a fire. No fun at all. Things turned out well for them, hope the same happens here.

Just a quick update on the Carr Fire. This will probably be it as it's depressing and I don't want to drag you all down. Also, this is a national news item and some of you are probably following things at that level. I'll get the bad news out of the way first. Grandmother and her two small grandchildren found dead on Saturday and a 60 year old man found dead yesterday. There are currently seven people that are still unaccounted for. The fire is just a hair under 100,000 acres. Now for the more positive news. Containment jumped up from 5% yesterday to 20% today. The fire's advance towards and into Redding has been stopped. They are lifting some evacuations today and allowing people to return to their homes. Temperatures have dropped down to the low 100's which is a relief from what we had last week. The fire fighters and everyone involved in this event have performed magnificently, as they always do. All in all, it's still a nasty situation but at least during this past 24 hours there are some signs of improvement. That awful feeling of helplessness and desperation has lessened somewhat and if the winds remain in check we might be turning the corner. That's about it everyone. Thanks for the concern and support. Hope you all have a good week.

Back