Smoke Day 2018 in Raymond

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
We’re celebrating SMOKE DAY 2018 tomorrow, the 28th of July.

Yes, I know it's quite late, but we had some major landscaping scheduled for the 22nd of May (a few days before May 26th).
So, we planned to do SD18 two months late.
However, due to a mid-April snowstorm and lots of rain following the snow, the crew was delayed by 3 weeks.
Holding the event on the original date may have been an issue with some guests attending from as far away as Nevada. We could not be certain the yard would be usable at that time.

So, tomorrow it is.
About 32 guests will attend, the weather looks promising and the brisket with racks of ribs will be ready.

I will post photos afterwards if this forum is still open.

1htpBTW.jpg

Last edited:
There will be 32 very happy, bbq stuffed, people.
Wish I was there too.
Enjoy your Smoke Day Jim!
Hope so Bob... and I wish you were here also!
Think I have 95% of everything that needs to be done outside, done... now, time to trim the brisket and clean the ribs.

Putting the P1G to bed until 3am.

m29f6Nr.jpg

Ok, yesterday was a Blast!
seasoned the brisket on Friday night with just salt & pepper...

8FnT3HE.jpg

cleaned and trimmed the ribs also Friday night

5q7aUfv.jpg

fast forward to 3:30 am Saturday morning, got the beef on the 22" WSM

On0kjuZ.jpg

4A5kxnV.jpg

once I felt the temp stabilized, I hit the sack for a few more hours of sleep

pkg1kkl.jpg

FF>> again to 9:30am, 6 hours after the brisket was started...

LIdOkLE.jpg

looking good so far. The brisket was wrapped in pink butcher paper when it's internal temp hit 165ºF
later in the morning, the Weber Ranch grill was set-up for ribs.
7 racks of spares rolled.

tStCr2b.jpg

dqcmPT3.jpg

0da2GeW.jpg

later in the early afternoon,
the Weber 26" kettle was employed for 3 racks of high heat Baby Back ribs

4PGgPxQ.jpg

The brisket took 13 hours to reach my desired temp of 200ºF
it was then sliced and served

hufOmeB.jpg

fr3ZBTd.jpg

4 dozen ears of Wisconsin sweet corn was roasted of two vintage 22" Weber kettles

DVDZUl9.jpg

ribs where ready for slicing & serving....

SAZ3cO7.jpg

5p4IW9S.jpg

jf1Cry4.jpg

moist, juicy ribs.... they were near perfect!

EUUprll.jpg

Q7srinn.jpg

everything is cooked, sliced and ready to serve.
Close up the outdoor kitchen and let's eat!

nEL1jAD.jpg

uiptxNL.jpg

NI8K8si.jpg

7DEARYV.jpg

5Em1cFE.jpg

FkWPOsj.jpg

VxTz3Fb.jpg

6foTlyp.jpg

xIn0zoo.jpg

Another successful Smoke Day in Raymond, Wisconsin.
I hope everyone attending had as much fun as I did.
Let's do this again next year!

mtbTXxD.jpg

And Thank You to Chris Allingham! for keeping this forum open long enough for me to share
my late SD18 with all my smoking comrades at TVWBB.

Another outstanding Smoke Day in Raymond!
The new patio areas look great too!
No way could I have pulled that all off with my current state of low energy/stamina.

Wow Jim, that is totally a fantastic job. Lots of hard work to pull that off That's a great looking setup in your yard also.
Thanks for sharing I really enjoyed it.

Jim, you out did yourself both in the back yard and that fantastic cook. Everything looks awesome and it looks like everyone was enjoying themselves. Thanks for sharing this awesome cook with us.

Great photos, Jim! Your yard looks like a Weber sculpture garden...a collection of grills here and there, a yellow kettle off in the distance. Nice!

Thanks, everyone! and thank you for your kind comments on the yard :) Hoping the lawn doesn't take too many years to get back to normal.

here's a clip on youtube the day the landscaping crew were completely done (yes, it rained cats and dogs that day).

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone! and thank you for your kind comments on the yard :) Hoping the lawn doesn't take too many years to get back to normal.

here's a clip on youtube the day the landscaping crew were completely done (yes, it rained cats and dogs that day).

Man that's cool and a great job by your tradesman, love the radius's. ( every thing just flows) around the crib!

Tim

Looks fantastic, Jim! Hope to someday make a roadtrip your way to see it in person. Enjoy the new landscaping and have a great weekend my friend!

Looks like a great time Jim. No reporters this year?
;) No, not this year either, Dwain. Thank you!

Man that's cool and a great job by your tradesman, love the radius's. ( every thing just flows) around the crib!

Tim
Thanks Tim. We thought it would take some time getting use to it, but now we cannot imagine how it was before. We are real happy with the finished design and their work.
Actually, having them return to continue the walk extending to the garage... something from the original design, but did not make the ballooned budget cut.
Next year, we will replace the asphalt drive with a cement design.

Looks fantastic, Jim! Hope to someday make a roadtrip your way to see it in person. Enjoy the new landscaping and have a great weekend my friend!
Thank you Ed, We look forward to that someday :)

Beautiful place you've got there Jim. Nice additions to the yard, even with our little place adding two more patios made a world of difference.

Back