Starting large flat grill

Malvin C

TVWBB Member
While I mainly use Weber gear, I'm going to be doing an community event and will be using a large 60"x24" charcoal grill. Will likely be using lump charcoal for the fuel and cooking hot dogs. When starting, how many standard Weber chimneys do you recommend using? 1, 2, more??

Appreciate any help on this non-Weber related question.

If you are just cooking dogs, I'd probably just do enough to get a single layer of charcoal down. You don't want the grill super hot because you'll be tending a lot of dogs. I'd just guess at least 3. The other thing you might consider is leaving some space to put the dogs off to the side if you wanna take more of a two zone approach then maybe go with 2.

+1 to Dustin. No more than 2 FULL ones. And that may be pushing it. Have to leave some "cool" space for warming.

You can ALWAYS add more. Hard to remove.

Absolutely go two zone, you will need “free space” for the cooked dogs, the sheet steel will conduct the heat a lot more than you might think, I would not put heat under more than half of the griddle either.
Curious as to the desire for lump? I would think briquettes might be more convenient and a little more consistent heat?

Thanks everyone. I don’t have a say in what fuel I get as it’s being provided for me. I’d probably just use KBB if I was picking the fuel as I’m familiar with it and it’s just hot dogs.

Mal, when does this cook go down?
Leave yourself plenty of “safe zone” and have a few dogs for me! I must admit, I still like a straight old school dog: relish, onion, mustard. And a large, ice cold, frosty, beer!
Several times over!!!

Alright, how did the cook go Mal?
Singed all the hair off your forearms? Eyebrows?
Just kidding, I hope it went smoothly.

Back