FQU11P06TU blown

Les W in TN

I was doing an overnight cook with my 4.2.4 Heatermeter when I noticed the fan was running at 100%. I checked my settings and they had not changed overnight. The max air setting was 30% as I use this on my 55 gal UDS with a Aubur 10 cfm fan. I did a Google search and hit the page showing the schematic of the board and where to check for continuity on Q3. I had continuity on the point with the power turned off. I flipped the board over and noticed the MOSFET had burned a black spot on the pcb. I have ordered another FQU11P06TU for this board but I am not sure that this will fix it. I will have to pay someone to remove and re attach the chip. Would I be better off just getting an assembled v4.2.4 board instead of fixing this one? The Aubur fan is a BFB0712H and was being used in voltage mode. Is this model fan ok to use in this mode or is that what caused the MOSFET to burn? I am using the Triad Magnetics model WSU120-1000 power supply with this unit.
Thanks!

I would look at your wiring, I suspect some type of short in the blower cable or in the blower melted the mosfet, or maybe some stray solder on the board or component legs left unclipped that shorted out? I have run some HUGE fans with the HM and not damaged a mosfet, and done very long cooks time and again with no issues, the blower driver is pretty robust.

The HM board is not all that complicated, IMHO it would be pretty hard to damage it beyond repair. Did you build this unit? If so, I would suggest you buy some solder wick and fix it rather than hiring somebody.

I didn't build it. I had a Aubur Model: SYL-1615SYS that I had used for years with no issues on this drum. The Auber held temperature fine but did not have the features that the Heaterneter has. I bought the heatermeter and used the Aubur fan unit with it. I've had this heatermeter for a year or so and decided to tune the PIDs and fan blower to try and match the Aubur units performance. I had been using the pulse option for the fan and decided to try voltage. That is when my trouble started. The fan seems to be fine. It will run 100% no problem or with any weird noises. It just won't shut off. I ordered the .89 cent part that will be over 9.00 by the time it gets here. I hope that fixes it. Maybe I can trade the electronics guy some bbq for his labor. I've worked 25 years in IT and never soldered anything. We always threw a burned board away and put a new one in. Would your Roto Damper RD3 unit work on this wounded board without the fan or does it need the MOSFET to work?

I didn't build it. I had a Aubur Model: SYL-1615SYS that I had used for years with no issues on this drum. The Auber held temperature fine but did not have the features that the Heaterneter has. I bought the heatermeter and used the Aubur fan unit with it. I've had this heatermeter for a year or so and decided to tune the PIDs and fan blower to try and match the Aubur units performance. I had been using the pulse option for the fan and decided to try voltage. That is when my trouble started. The fan seems to be fine. It will run 100% no problem or with any weird noises. It just won't shut off. I ordered the .89 cent part that will be over 9.00 by the time it gets here. I hope that fixes it. Maybe I can trade the electronics guy some bbq for his labor. I've worked 25 years in IT and never soldered anything. We always threw a burned board away and put a new one in. Would your Roto Damper RD3 unit work on this wounded board without the fan or does it need the MOSFET to work?

will need the mosfet replaced, me thinks

Well after further testing I am probably going to trash the board and get a new one. I used the Aubur unit to fire the drum up to 225-230 degrees and decided to use the heatermeter as a web based thermometer to monitor the cook. The heatermeter probe 0 is reporting 81 degrees. Probe 2 is reporting 167 degrees. The Aubur is showing 255 and my maverick is showing 228. I did swap the Aubur and heatermeter probe and got the same results. I can get a new board from Aubur or The Heatermeter store but would prefer to buy a preassembled board from a member here if anyone sells them. Any takers?

If you want to send me the board and pay for the return shipping I will try to fix it for you for free, no bbq required.... If interested please send me an email to rotodamper AT Hot Mail DOT COM.

PS, the RD3 damper will function with a blown blower mosfet but the fan wont work... You really want both the fan and damper to be working though...

Back