Steps in converting a Gen 3000 to LP from Natural?

TonyS T-Bone

TVWBB Super Fan
Is it as simple as a manifold change? or something like that? CAN ANYONE GET ME STARTED ON THE THOUGHT PROCESS?
Thanks!

If you can get your hands on a complete manifold it's that simple. You swap in a NG manifold and hook it up to a NG line and you're done. However the manifolds especially for the older grills are becoming harder to get. In that case it can be done by judiciously resizing the main orifices and than disassembling the valves and resizing the low and medium ports in the spool for the different gas and flow rate. Not really "hard" or rocket science but it is painstaking and if not done right irreversably will ruin the manifold and make the grill useless. Going from LP to NG is pretty easy to do, however, going from NG to LP is impossible without a different manifold assembly

Thanks Larry, my question was misleading. I am looking at buying a natural gasser and converting it to LP. Is it as simple as finding and buying a Genesis 3000 manifold? I've seen them for sale

Yes it is. You can even use a 1000, or 2000 or an old model 2, or 3 with no issues. If you have a side burner and need the tap for it. Simply take the valves off your old manifold and install the ones from the other on there and you're golden

I "might" have an extra Genesis 1xxx manifold with the extra port you would need for the extra burner. Let me know if you have trouble finding one and I will rummage through the garage.

Just make sure you don't get a silver b or c manifold because the spacing between the valves is different and the burner tubes won't line up.

Good luck. There are lots of Genesis 1-2-3-4-5xxx grills out there to canibalize a manifold from, but the key is finding one with the extra port for the extra burner.

No not legit. Too many of these goofballs on the internet giving bad info out. The actual valves themselves are different on almost all Weber grills between NG and LP. Sadly they don't have to be Weber could have had a workaround for it but they chose not to

This pile of information is fascinating to me even though I know full well I will not use it in a hundred years. The amassing of information is still fun.
I’d love to find a Skyline with the side burner!

No there should not be. The big difference is whether the manifold came from a deep fire box grill or a shallow. Otherwise they're fully interchangeable. If you have a side burner however you need to be aware that the tap has to be present for the side burner in whatever manifold you end up with

I know the burner tubes are usually different when comparing LP and NG. Is it necessary to switch those as well? What's the difference in the burners?

The burner tubes are never different. Again more internet myth and hyperbole. Once the proper mix and volume of as is in the burners they don't care what kind of gas it is. No changing or adjusting is needed. If someone feels a need to do so than they did it wrong.

Nope, same burners for LP or NG. Just need to change out the orifices or the whole manifold.

I know the part numbers are different, and if you look on the schematics they will usually be labeled LP or NG. That's why I asked.

What part numbers are different? The burners are all the same. This may not be true of a non Weber grill which might have the metering jets built into the burner itself (though I would have to question the sanity of a company that did that). But Weber itself does not have a variant on the burner tunes from LG to NG or vice versa. Heck even most home gas ranges you buy come with a conversion kit

What part numbers are different? The burners are all the same. This may not be true of a non Weber grill which might have the metering jets built into the burner itself (though I would have to question the sanity of a company that did that). But Weber itself does not have a variant on the burner tunes from LG to NG or vice versa. Heck even most home gas ranges you buy come with a conversion kit

If you compare LP to NG schematics on weber.com the burners have different numbers. Just a quick search picking two random grills I found these part numbers:

Genesis EP-310 LP Black (2011-2012): 62752 - LP Burner Tube Set, Genesis '11
Genesis EP-310 NG Black (2011-2012): 62799 - NG Burner Tube Set, Genesis '11

Spirit II E-310 LP (2017): 67025 - LP Burner Kit, Spirit II 3 burner
Spirit II E-310 NG (2017): 67103 - NG Burner Kit, Spirit II 3 burner

Why would they be labeled different if they're the exact same? If you compare other LP to NG parts they will have different part numbers if the part is different. Like for the previous versions of the Spirit and Genesis models where the tank went inside the cabinet, the bottom panel has different numbers because they're different parts. The LP versions had a hole in the bottom panel for the LP tank. For the NG models, the bottom panel doesn't contain that same hole for the propane tank, obviously. Instead it is solid all the way. But for an item like the flavorizer bars, grates, side tables, lid, etc., there are no distinctions between LP and NG because they're the same no matter which type of gas you're using.

Edit: I looked up schematics for a Genesis 3000 and the burners are the same item number. Maybe the different tubes based on fuel choice is a newer thing?

Last edited:

Back