Tri tip cooked to 210

Interesting, but no thank you, Harry!

Now...can you cook a brisket to medium-rare and give it the taste and tenderness of a properly cooked tri-tip? Now THAT'S a video I want to watch! :D

I'll bring the Popcorn...

Noticing the lack of a seam and only a single muscle fibre direction...
Faux TriTip ?

Last edited:
You guys mean to tell me you wouldn't cook something that ends up looking like this?
No injection, took it to 190° and it was excellent!
You all know I've cooked many the standard way too, but this is a nice change, just ask my wife.

I7zQ93dSbOSc3O6mlYvP_FV__niNGdZdK3ESZ7R1KjntkQXAGVU-lfBgXpU7lK4L_7Mtx1fm-GzqDvAkK7dOtKL5t8-2Qrw_ioh0BknXxNyPFtHfHZm_VseXlJyIwVD4APRMvk3oFMn7tkNgS25TzoD3bQPA0nzICwoZ2j4H83u6UZwLEef-Wt_lzNiMqjnT4sD4c9vtdgIEQuOUuNWYq_95SAaINjUH7gehzrT_NodnyNcZErVTB0PB42uwgXmxB3gteMG8so9F9dbjvYVmHnI2wzWXzV9TYOm5gKBMwOAVA7rg9Xin7X7IOHXrkfTtRTgFUXhVKR9vZ-ZGqEKbiqNL5HhcB8j8z68eZYZPoVHVlREa6Yyi_xyVzg3VKDWFCFfTu5cv2iM6-zs6-9Yz-OJcejYSyTzm6oXCh6_pU9VF2f-0kkVjMmobodjSNOdhOP5qryPNO3kmgS3wDveXYV-Tocs3iSpD_XiRPkeKeXUOGqfk7agqnU30BhJpHJFk7owBpm2X2DizW8cwc_CqRi1t34pvwk-z7uT9JZ1o3l-0Cilol04RVqWZyMMxtuoVcLCwwCx34mmgY1MinY3ihvf1B1PfSNrN1wEgMygyJ8-w0pYRtA=w1344-h896-no

H7M-3lA1vfgdyryscj2IStmSt_QSvZA7nCcofltfxFVHBvMObLLv-tVhTeTrXdp5-DMzKpylapuwZUAK9ofG1gLdL_8ysOk8uj5KVfXQNZBnc60bETTmsxqr4J5zwyUl7pcgbIbELHpo_ssJC_FaF4-l4oAF71DneGQG1pptx3WjelNPLLguu3ZluPkbxbY7BSEfHwEEsyYIDB2_aQY9bDuPMR2F3JiLJldZe9ctndhaGwA0PUay-358y6eKDdvdVvhLEn_EHoc8p_MpDLedsBWnVL0draGC1D38_Nrr6vMt6dwv02oXVSRf_CIs4J_otDswRiiXrz2WFzIZH5T78vGUlMSeGpnSRSWRp1ujYhdJWDXdmVwmLWMFQizaypETR2V2dwk2OyGiNBPGkViyY2x3JeyURZI59LbsJqg0ki6OuWoQDR0OGKZ4YpLpfQnvfF6mtEmGVZkVHQUpajoFMBteIxFarcAlcb-PRWhGDROX3f8zgisvM-GjYeOCMl89qDbB1eTzh5sQC4hejWmjME9p9b9voKW11oPx_IYiLuTP7CUYyL7BSiBLGy_whYn-Q7mUKfbuhuk1K0gMDTRxxypcgJUC7LGl_vXHHRtysJVqVS22yQ=w1344-h896-no

Okay Bob, you peaked my interest now. No injection did you foil, beef broth, 225-250, how long, smoked? That sure looks good. I showed this to Barb and she had a point, we're still working on the full packer from smoke day. So something smaller with similar results would be something I would like.

I suppose one could cook a tri tip like a brisket, but the question to me would be why would I want to? The tri tip is already a good piece of meat, whereas the brisket benefits from the longer cook and higher finish temp to make it a more tender cut.

I am sure there are other less expensive cuts of meat that are smaller in size that would also be very similar in taste and texture to a brisket when done if cooked in the same manner of a brisket. Why not use one of those instead?

I suppose one could cook a tri tip like a brisket, but the question to me would be why would I want to? The tri tip is already a good piece of meat, whereas the brisket benefits from the longer cook and higher finish temp to make it a more tender cut.

I am sure there are other less expensive cuts of meat that are smaller in size that would also be very similar in taste and texture to a brisket when done if cooked in the same manner of a brisket. Why not use one of those instead?

A few reasons, TTs are always in the markets marked down section so I never pay over $1.99 a pound so it's cost is as low or lower than less expensive cuts of meat. Another is they can be cooked more than one way with excellent results. Last two highly qualified people Harry Soo and Bob Correll say it works and that's good enough for me to try it.

Rich,
Here's a link with details on one I did last year:
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?68994-Tri-Tip-cooked-like-a-brisket

I suppose one could cook a tri tip like a brisket, but the question to me would be why would I want to?

I can get tri tips for $4.99/lb., and if I'm cooking for just the two of us and want something brisket-like it's a perfect size.
There's no other beef cut that I know of that would work nearly as well as a tri tip.
So my question is why wouldn't you want to?

I'll add that mine aren't as moist as Harry's, or doing a whole packer, but to me they're as good as any trimmed flat I've ever cooked.

Given those circumstances I suppose I might.

I have never cooked for 2, it has always been a minimum of 4, and typically it ends up being at least 10-12.

This is from a Weber cookbook . Done on a 18 WSM at 245. The recipe is by the Dueling Bubbas. We have done these for years.

I cooked one like this a month or two ago. I was hesitant for a very long time to give it a try but one week tri tips were dirt cheap so I decided to give it a go. I was pleasantly surprised how good and tender it was. My wife loved it since she hates seeing any red in her meat.

I like to smoke a tri tip on my Kamado, cut it into chunks and put it in my slow cooker pot with sliced onions, beef broth and some wooster sauce. cook till tender (past 210), shred with a fork then thicken the juice with flour to make a gravy and make BBQ beef sandwiches with it.

i did 2 tri-tips the other day. I cooked them at about 350 till 125 inside then let rest for 15 min. Perfect. I think tri tip isn't like brisket, it does not need to be cooked till 200+. took about an hour or so. 2 large cherry wood pieces. I could taste a difference over a gas BBQ cook

No, it does not need to be cooked to this temp, but it can be, with excellent results.
It's hard for me to believe so many aren't willing to try it at least once.
You cannot properly judge it until you do.
That includes you too Donna. :)

Last edited:

Back