SouthCentral Alaska

MikeS in Alaska

TVWBB Fan
Been a Weber user for years, just doing basic grilling and some smoking with a 22" Kettle and a Genesis Silver.

Decided to try my hand at smoking with the 18.5" WSM. Still looking for the perfect combination of brine, smoke, and temp for red salmon. Everyone has their own idea of "perfect".

I wandered into this site looking for information on regulating the WSM temp with the cold and wind and picked up ideas on building a "shanty" for the WSM.

Thanks !

i'm in northern Maine and I am concerned about the cold weather too!! The wife just bought me a WSM 18.5" for my birthday and I'll be smoking in my garage, it doesn't have any heat but it is out of the wind....I'm hoping this works out....the beer will be cold though :)

Welcome Mike! You live in a state that I would like to see. How much of the year can you grill of smoke up there?

It all depends on how hard the wind's blowin' and how much fuel you got. Haven't built a permanent wind break / smoke shelter, but I can see it coming.

Just did a turkey on the kettle. It was a warm day, in the 20's F with little to no wind. We had freezing rain in the last week or so that gave the ground a nice polished ice surface.

Usually along about February, I have to charcoal a hunk of meat just for the taste.

i'm in northern Maine and I am concerned about the cold weather too!! The wife just bought me a WSM 18.5" for my birthday and I'll be smoking in my garage, it doesn't have any heat but it is out of the wind....I'm hoping this works out....the beer will be cold though :)

Cole, my garage is attached, heated, and full of stuff that don't take kindly to smoke. I may just build something out of a huge appliance box in the front yard just to **** off the neighbors.

Back