Alternative parts for WSM makeover?

Lew

TVWBB All-Star
I would like to replace the grates and door on my 18.5 WSM. I have priced them and it will set me back over $115. Are there cheaper aftermarket parts? I looked years ago and didn't find any, but maybe some recently became available?

Thanks. Cajun Bandit isn't cheaper. Thinking about just taping the old door permanently shut.

You could go with a cheap plated 18" grate for the top. The spacing of the rods is a little wider than what comes stock on the WSM, but is $13 as opposed to $35 and works just the same.

Thinking about just taping the old door permanently shut.

Sounds like you're not planning to use the door anymore? I taped mine shut w alum tape, eventually it came off so I shut it permanently w/ sheet metal screws.

Sounds like you're not planning to use the door anymore? I taped mine shut w alum tape, eventually it came off so I shut it permanently w/ sheet metal screws.

Never used the door except to prop it open for extra heat with chicken.

I got the Pit Barrel folding grate and love it. I hang everything now in my 18.5 WSM (with the gateway drum smokers rib hanger kit). I've turned my WSM into a super-powered Pit Barrel with a BBQ Guru DigiQ -- for pork and brisket -- and a PartyQ for chicken and ribs.

The PB folding grate lets me hang chicken while I finish a pork shoulder in foil.

Perfect!

I use my door all the time. I don't put any smoke wood in until the charcoal fire settles in. I put in a chunk or 2 of wood about 5 minutes before putting food on. I add more later depending on what I am smoking. The door can be straightened.
I will buy Weber grates when the time comes.

Weber sold me the parts for $78 shipped. The new door is a big improvement over the old one. Added a Vortex Plate for the firebox and it's like having a new smoker.

Back