Genesis 2 Handel

Christopher S

Im about done with my restoration and want to switch out the durawood the last owner switched too. What is the wood of choice for such an old model? just cedar? or pine stained and sealed to look like cedar? Any old threads with how to make the handle? etc...

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Most would agree that cedar is the way to go because of weather durability and originality. I am currently trying red oak for a handle on one grill and for slats on another. It is a much more beautiful wood to me. The problem with oak is that it is vulnerable to water, so if you are going to try it, factor in the cost and time of multi-coats with spar urethane. I recommend McClokey Man O War introduced to me by Brian in Atlanta. It goes on well and gives the initial impression that it will provide great protection. It is not cheap, and the whole process takes time and patience!

Christopher. I replaced all the wood on my Genesis 1000 with cedar. I even replaced the handle. I made the slots in the handle drilling the ends of each slot with a large drill bit (I think 1/2" and then I used a router to cut the slots. It didn't come out perfect, but IMO, it came out pretty good. I didn't expect perfection however.

cnrdJNC.jpg

koeRSIa.jpg

Honestly if using wood IMO untreated cedar is the way to go or redwood. Either is a good choice. They can be left bare to weather or stained with a good oil base stain. Though on my red head I gave to son in law I sanded them down, sealed them with Kilz primer I sprayed on than I shot them with paint I bought from Farm & Fleet called "tractor enamel" in IH red color. It's a perfect match to the red head. I thinned it for use with my spray gun and shot a few coats on them. They turned out very well with a high gloss red, easy to wipe down too. It still looks quite nice even after well over 10 years of outdoor exposure

Last edited:
Since Weber got it's start in the Chicago area there some commemorative grills made with a Chicago Skyline imprinted in the hood porcelain. They're kinda cool

Christopher: Is that the grill in Sussex? It looks like that one has the fade spot on top of the hood.

Yah, too far for me to drive and the price tag is a no-go as well. Just like my hunt for a blue hood, patience will reap rewards. AFter not seeing one for a whole year last year, I have acquired three of them this year for a total of $50.

Besides, I think that Skyline has the "oxidation" problem which would also be a deal breaker. But, that is the first one I have seen anywhere near me and I wouldn't have seen it if you didn't mention it. I don't typically check the Milwaukee market.

Just for the record what everyone calls oxidation is truly not. It is UV fade caused by bad material in the original glass mix for the coating

Yah, I use the word "oxidation" but I usually put it in quotes since I know it isn't quite the right term, but it is one that most people can relate to. However, it probably also misleading in how the problem can or can not be dealt with. I will try to use "UV Fade" for now on but you know that saying about Old dogs and new tricks!

If it shows up soon enough, I do know that Weber will replace the hood under warranty. But, that isn't going to help someone with a 20 year old lid.

Also what’s all the fuss over these skyline grills about? One just came up in my area.

Christopher,

For me, I personally like black grills, and then I have some personal ties to Chicago due to grad school and that my wife and her family are from there. I also like that it was tied to Sears which gives it even more old-style charm. The Skyline Series is just one of a number of unique Weber marketing ideas. (For a time they marketed a kettle grill with a Texas steer :D similarly embedded in the porcelain!) This happens to be one that goes with the classic Genesis that a lot of us here like to restore.

Mine is ALMOST done!

307umpe.jpg

f2pkhv.jpg

16axphj.jpg

Back