My Holy Grail Has Been Found.

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Our pup Abby got me up at 5am so the newspaper wasn’t here yet. I got my tablet and started looking at the forum.
Then decided to check out Craig’s List for Weber’s in hopes of finding my elusive Skyline.
Checked up here in the Prescott area…Nope. Checked Phoenix and BINGO!
There is a Skyline in what looks like excellent condition. Durawood looks excellent, lid the same, control panel is in great shape. Even has the warming rack and the accessory tray below the control panel. The handle is one of the rare weber light handles and it works.

I waited until 8:30 to call as I didn’t want to tick someone off calling at 5:30 am on Sunday. When I called he said he still had it, I asked a few questions and told him I would take it. I explained I was about 120 miles away and would he hold it for a couple of hours until I could get there. He agreed so Barb and were out the door by 9am.

I took one look at it and stuck the money in his hand before he could change his mind.
Back at home a little after noon.

Further inspection shows the grates are dirty but in great shape the flavorizer bars are perfect, same with the burners and a totally rust free frame.
$100 and a 240 mile round trip and a little over three hours of time.

I’m thinkin I stole it. New patio queen coming soon.

43528685132_0b9ec4349d_z.jpg
[/url]100_3649 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

43528686122_e36990ce24_z.jpg
[/url]100_3647 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

43528687172_e172c6656a_z.jpg
[/url]100_3645 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

43528688532_c3940ae6fb_z.jpg
[/url]100_3644 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

43528683612_9bfd87922f_z.jpg
[/url]100_3654 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

43528689922_7fb24b694a_z.jpg
[/url]100_3635 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
Awesome find. Great deal. Only issue (very minor) is the old style propane hose connector. A new $10 hose and regulator and you are just a little rehabbing away from a classic.

By the way, did the CL listing highlight the fact that it was a Skyline edition or did it just list it as a Weber grill?

Rich, that is GREAT! I have been on the lookout for you, and you probably saw that Jeff in MA was thinking of you, too. You got a sweetheart deal instead, with everything you need. At the rate I am going, you will have a “patio queen” done before I do. We will all look forward to the restoration pictures.

Awesome find. Great deal. Only issue (very minor) is the old style propane hose connector. A new $10 hose and regulator and you are just a little rehabbing away from a classic.

By the way, did the CL listing highlight the fact that it was a Skyline edition or did it just list it as a Weber grill?

Yep I saw the regulator and I have a spare or three. Also the ignitor is toast. Yes he did list it as a skyline that's why I pounced on it.

Something tells me that when I finally come across one, it won't mention "Skyline" anywhere in the add. You guys all have me on the hunt for one now. It isn't a huge priority because I already have "my grill". But, I guess it is the chase that I am after. I would probably do a good rehab on it and list it for a Skyline price and just sit on it until someone see's it and is willing to pay.

I am glad you got you Holy Grail Rich. Enjoy.

Congrats Rich!

Like Jon stated you were the first person to pop into my head when I got my Skyline. Glad you have one to call your own.

Jeff

Thanks to all of you who were keeping an eye out to help me find a skyline. This will be my last restore and I'm going to take my time and do it right. I wish I could get the build date and model number but the tag is completely bleached out. Anyone no the time lines for the skyline? I'm guessing 1996-1999, I also remember Sears selling them .

Mine is a 1998, (EZ) I got it brand new at a Monte Carlo night that Oldsmobile put on for its dealers for sales and service managers before they shut them down. I replaced some parts about 5 years ago, but going to do a full rehab now, I see everybody paints the frames, I was wondering if anyone has had one powder coated?

Any rate I have been lurking around on here picking up some tips.

Keith,
If you venture over to the "other" Weber forum many have done just that with powder coating their frames.

Jeff

Something tells me that when I finally come across one, it won't mention "Skyline" anywhere in the add. You guys all have me on the hunt for one now. It isn't a huge priority because I already have "my grill". But, I guess it is the chase that I am after...

Bruce, There’s a 12 step program for that, too! :D

Is that lid handle stock on it? It's a gorgeous grill!

It's a discontinued Weber accessory that has two built-in lights. It's very 90s technology though, it uses THREE C batteries per bulb.

Congrats, Rich. I'm always impressed by the Weber stainless FBs on the Genesis 1000-5000 series, even if they are only 18-gauge steel. I've scavenged several sets that were in good enough shape that I gave them a quick cleaning with a wire wheel and reused them for on flip grills:

41471709315_d71af01de5_h.jpg

It could be argued that there's no such thing as a quick cleaning with a wire wheel when there are 13 bars in all, though.

Last edited:
It's a discontinued Weber accessory that has two built-in lights. It's very 90s technology though, it uses THREE C batteries per bulb.

Very true, but that is what gives it so much charm on a Skyline hood;). Someday, I might see about upgrading the bulbs to LED. With all that battery power, the batteries would deteriorate long before running out of juice with that upgrade.

P.s. If someone is really interested in one of these, I have an extra I would consider selling.

Nice Rich & Barb, well done!

Although I have heard that "I'ts my last restore" song before, I think......

Nice Rich & Barb, well done!

Although I have heard that "I'ts my last restore" song before, I think......

One of the reasons I wanted a Skyline was I grew up in the Chicago area and I've wanted one for a long time. I really don't need another grill, but when I saw the condition it was in I had to go for it.

Well I tore it down today in the garage that at 9am was 101 degrees. It's even better than I thought it came apart like it was put together yesterday. Only two things need to be replaced the regulator which is the old style and a front caster both of which I have.
I discovered a slick way to get the sticky control knobs off. Take a flat blade screwdriver and from underneath the control panel place the blade on the bottom of the knobs shaft and very lightly tap with a hammer. They slide right off, much easier than trying to pry them off from the top.
This the second grill I've used that method on and again it worked very well.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I wanted a Skyline was I grew up in the Chicago area and I've wanted one for a long time. I really don't need another grill, but when I saw the condition it was in I had to go for it.

Hey Rich greetings from Chicago. I am so glad to hear about your Skyline find! We can't wait for some pics!

Back