Broilmasters are hot!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I can already here you guys saying “Crazy Jon has done it again!”

A while back, I started looking for parts to rehab the “beat up” Broilmaster grill parts that were thrown in along with an almost new grill I got on CL. The cost can add up quick, just like when you try to restore a Weber with all new parts. So, when a guy (forum name “Chiku”) who is a member of our forum and also the Weber Kettle Club reached out to me about a $100 Broilmaster he saw on OfferUp in west central Florida, I agreed to his offer to get it for me. (I had previously actually helped him with a nice old “red mist” kettle from my area.) Anyway, it looked nice and seemed like a cheaper way to get a barrel full of parts.

After he got it for me, I learned more about Broilmaster and studied the pictures closer. I realized that what I was going to be getting was “3” model. In Broilmaster’s nomenclature, a 3 is the larger model, while the 4 is the smaller model, the type that I had picked up already. It is something like the Genesis Silver B/C vs Silver A/ Spirit from the early 2000s. I would say the “small” Broilmaster is closer to the regular Genesis size, while the large is maybe bigger but not at all in Summit category. I need to look up the square inches and compare...

While some parts are interchangeable, just like the Silver B vs A, the grates, burners, and other important parts are not. So, while I waited to get together with Chiku, I went ahead and shopped carefully to judiciously find the parts I needed to complete the “beat up” grill and also new parts to replace the ones I scavenged from the nice one. You have may have seen my posts about the restoration of the beat up one, and soon I will put the new parts on the nice Broilmaster which needs little restoration since the firebox, grates and burner are all brand new. My goal is to keep the restored one while I sell off the essentially brand new one.

Thursday night I went on a road trip to finally get the Broilmaster from Chiku. He and his family were so gracious, introducing me to some great Indian food. Chiku has an amazing collection of Weber kettles and other Weber stuff, including a Weber cooler. That would be a cool thing to have:cool:! He also has a Summit Charcoal that was pretty impressive when seen in person.

After a nice visit, I hauled the Broilmaster home (along with a couple kettle bargains I lined up since I otherwise would not normally venture this far). So, yes, I now have THREE Broilmasters:rolleyes:! I know, I know...

257krjl.jpg

One nice thing is that this big one, while not sparkling by any means, was ready to grill on. My renovation of the smaller size model is pretty much done, but my homemade handle isn’t, so I haven’t been able to use it yet.

I did a little inside cleanup, scraped the cast iron grates, and put the included ceramics briquettes back in place. It fired up easily.

sywdu8.jpg

Temperature registered a little over 500 degrees on the hood thermometer:

2mwz08z.jpg

But, check out that grate temperature as recorded on my Harbor Freight laser thermometer:

znvmlj.jpg

824 degrees! Before you doubt the thermometer, let me say that it seems very accurate when compared to things I know the temperature of. For comparison, I just grilled on my Silver C this afternoon using GrillGrates. Got the grill extra hot and it was over 90 outside. The grates registered in the high 600s. Another thing about this larger Broilmaster is that you can set the grates to one of THREE different levels. The smaller model offers two. In my test I had them at the lowest, therefore hottest, position.

I tried making a few burgers on the Broilmaster, but even with shortened grilling time they were overdone:p.

Wow, this is one hot grill! I am going to try out the ceramic tiles with holes to see how that impacts things. I didn’t have much in the way of flare ups with the ceramic briquettes, though. Moving the grates to a higher level would probably make that even less of an issue.

Now I have to figure out what to do with a third Broilmaster:confused:

Last edited:
Jon, you are getting to the point that you might need a 12 step meeting. :)

That’s probably true, but I have sold off two of my grills and have a buyer for a third. Unfortunately none of them are true rehab projects, yet.

Ironically, it looks like my newer Broilmaster will be sort of a first, although the restoration will have been limited to replacement of a few parts and a light cleanup. I am going to try OfferUp, CL and even eBay for a while, but if I get no action I am thinking about going to the few Broilmaster dealers anywhere close to me to see about selling on consignment. I figure if a buyer is already knowledgeable about the brand and looking at paying $1100 to $1300 for a new one, they could pay way less for mine and both me and the dealer make out.

I have avoided FaceBook with a passion, but I might have my wife post it in their Marketplace, too. The big problem with these is that, unlike Weber, the brand is not well known. I think George Stephens :george: deserves credit for making Weber synonymous with high quality grilling. Webers also have style, whereas these Broilmaster grills look out of date and frumpy. I would love to work for that company and really promote the TRUE made in USA aspect while trying to come up with some style improvements that don’t compromise the rock solid durability they offer.

Eight hundred degrees sure is hot! I'm surprised the burgers didn't just vaporize when they hit the grate!

Eight hundred degrees sure is hot! I'm surprised the burgers didn't just vaporize when they hit the grate!

Yeah, Larry said they get “frightfully hot” and he wasn’t joking. I think if I can get the hang of it, with this grill I can get even closer to that Green Egg magazine steak picture I posted under my “Did I get close?” thread.

P.s. You couldn’t even use GrillGrates on this Broilmaster, because there would be a genuine risk of exceeding the maximum recommended temperature and melting the aluminum :eek:!

Last edited:
Yah, Jon, that 800 degrees is pushing it.

By the way, I tried to do some diamond shaped sear marks on my two 1+ lb sirloins tonight. One came out right, the other one is more square. I have a hard time forcing myself to put them anything but 90 degrees when I flip them. LOL

Some day I will get the hang of it.

YvHvsYO.jpg

Yah, Jon, that 800 degrees is pushing it.

By the way, I tried to do some diamond shaped sear marks on my two 1+ lb sirloins tonight. One came out right, the other one is more square. I have a hard time forcing myself to put them anything but 90 degrees when I flip them. LOL

Some day I will get the hang of it.

YvHvsYO.jpg

Bruce,

They both look great to me. Maybe someday I will get back up to your area and it will work out to have a grillout party! We can even invite Larry:eek:!

Sounds like fun Jon. Nothing like a Midwest BBQ in the summer.

I am planning a Roto chicken tomorrow. Gotta go brine that sucker now.

Sorry no photos but I did a huge dinner late last night. Wife and her sister had just gotten back from bringing their mom here to IL from MN since there is no family left there to help care for her. Wife's sister lives in FL so flew here to Chicago on Friday. We picked her up and than proceeded to Niles IL to pick up a special "mobility van" which they rented for the weekend. (special van with hold downs and belts so their mother could ride in her wheel chair). The trip went well for them. They got her to IL yesterday about 5. Got her settled in to to nursing home than the van had to brought back to Niles nearly 70 miles away. So I drove there (leaving par cooked sweet corn behind and side dishes of grilled zucchini and crimini mushrooms). We got the van returned they jumped into my ca and we hightailed back here. I actually got us there and back in under 2 hours including a stop for gas prior to returning the rental and the time taken to return it!
Once here I had prime grade top sirloin butt steaks waiting, and par cooked corn waiting. Got the Wolf screaming hot, roasted the corn fully, than grilled up those butt steaks (with nice diamond marks BTW LOL) to a perfect mid rare, rested while the corn was slathered in Kerry Gold butter and we ate like royalty. BTW those butt steaks were as tender as any filet mignon I have ever bought from regular outlets (i.e. grocery, Sam's etc.) They were GUUUUUUUUUUUUD as Sheriff Andy would say. Perfect sear and crust on the steaks and no GG's either. Just solid heat control and of course RC's high quality SS grates :D

Sorry no photos but I did a huge dinner late last night. Wife and her sister had just gotten back from bringing their mom here to IL from MN since there is no family left there to help care for her. Wife's sister lives in FL so flew here to Chicago on Friday. We picked her up and than proceeded to Niles IL to pick up a special "mobility van" which they rented for the weekend. (special van with hold downs and belts so their mother could ride in her wheel chair). The trip went well for them. They got her to IL yesterday about 5. Got her settled in to to nursing home than the van had to brought back to Niles nearly 70 miles away. So I drove there (leaving par cooked sweet corn behind and side dishes of grilled zucchini and crimini mushrooms). We got the van returned they jumped into my ca and we hightailed back here. I actually got us there and back in under 2 hours including a stop for gas prior to returning the rental and the time taken to return it!
Once here I had prime grade top sirloin butt steaks waiting, and par cooked corn waiting. Got the Wolf screaming hot, roasted the corn fully, than grilled up those butt steaks (with nice diamond marks BTW LOL) to a perfect mid rare, rested while the corn was slathered in Kerry Gold butter and we ate like royalty. BTW those butt steaks were as tender as any filet mignon I have ever bought from regular outlets (i.e. grocery, Sam's etc.) They were GUUUUUUUUUUUUD as Sheriff Andy would say. Perfect sear and crust on the steaks and no GG's either. Just solid heat control and of course RC's high quality SS grates :D

Once again, no room and no invitation for us!

I did up a Roto Chicken tonight. Best yet and I skimped big time on the prep.
You guys were invited, I just forgot to send them out.

LA0ftcr.jpg

Sorry Jon, no sear marks.

Sorry guys. It was such a late night even though it stays light enough to grill until nearly 830 PM yet I still was cooking under lights LOL (that's why no photos BTW)

Back