Hello from Sacramento . . . Joined out of Desperation . . .

KevinGaines

My marginal and inconsistent bbq and smoking performances are causing me to question my value as a man. I joined to find out how TF to do this stuff correctly, and everything is needed . . . from lighting and temp regulation and dry rub recipes to cleaning and maintenance. I've had a 22 inch OG Kettle for years, and done okay with it but not great or even consistently good. Just got a 18.5 inch WSM for Father's Day, and am frustrated beyond belief. Total immersion begins TODAY. Top of the morning to you all.
UE2gQKk.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Kevin. There is a learning curve to cooking with charcoal, but you'll get there. First thing you need to do is attach the door on your WSM correctly.:p

Welcome aboard Kevin. There is a learning curve to cooking with charcoal, but you'll get there. First thing you need to do is attach the door on your WSM correctly.:p

No, he's got it right. :cool:

Mine is upside-down too. I think it helps to reduce heat loss, although I see his has a crack at the top.

Welcome to the forum, Kevin. :)

Ha! Actually, a problem I had all morning was regulating temperature; I couldn't keep the temp @ 225 because I didn't light it up correctly. So I found a tip on another thread about turning the door upside down to vent a little more. Finished 3 racks in 4.5 hours and they taste okay, but it was nervewracking.

Welcome Kevin,

You’ll find lots of good information to get you started at my website http://virtualweberbullet.com

In the Cooking Section there are several beginner recipes where you don’t even need to pay attention to cooker temp, you just build a fire as described and cook the chicken or ribs until done.

In the Operating Tips section, make sure to read page 2 of Firing Up Your Weber Bullet for info about the Minion Method, that’s a technique you’ll use as long as you own your WSM. Lots of other info in those sections, and don’t forget my YouTube videos linked at the top of every page.

We’re here to help, feel free to post specific questions in the New WSM Owners forum.

Best,
Chris

Welcome, Kevin. Everything you need to know (note that I didn't say "everything there is to know") can be found here, either in what has been posted, or by asking questions. The great thing about this forum is that everyone is helpful and nobody is judgmental, so you can feel free to ask anything. And while there is a learning curve, you get to eat your mistakes (and even the mistakes are usually pretty good). Once you have learned how to make your WSM do what you want it to do, consistently, the real fun begins. :)

Hi Kevin. New here myself. I have the same Weber duo. Still very happy with my kettle and learning to use the WSM. Chris.... I will certainly need to study and follow advice on your website http://virtualweberbullet.com ...... This stuff is getting addictive. They just opened a new Costco virtually nextdoor. It opened yesterday and they had some very good-looking Prime Brisket in the $35-$60 range, I might just pop in later today and get one for the weekend.

Back