2 Smokers or Just 1?

Chris in Mi

TVWBB Member
I am going to be smoking 4 pork butts this next w/e, that vary some in size. Just wondering how you guys would suggest the set up.

Pork butts are:

I have both a 14” and 18” WSM. I have smoked very similar sized butts on the same smoker all at once, but do you think it will be an issue with the 8 to 9.5lb butts, or even the 7.5 to 9.5lb butts being on the same smoker?

So, what do you guys suggest? 1 smoker? And if 1 smoker, what rack set up do you suggest? 9.5 on bottom, etc...?

TY!!!

Put 'em all in the 18" with the bigger ones on the bottom. The top ones might get done sooner but I think it unlikely. Pay attention to heat levels as that much meat will be a big heat sink (to start with anyways).

Another agree. Using only the 18 means you only have to manage 1 fire. Putting the small butts on top makes sense because they should finish first and you don't have to mess with the other butts when you remove the smaller ones. Personally, I would then move the others to the top, stick a probe in one and finish the cook on the top grate. Have fun.

TY for confirming what I figured was the best route.

I may even try to fit the 8lb on top with the 7.5 & 7.8lb butts...

I have smoked 3, ~9lb/ea butts all on the top rack before. It did take a while.... So I will probably wrap this time (usually don’t) and smoke at a little higher temp. Have plans for Sat late morning, so they need to be done by 10ish.... will probably fire the smoker up at ~3 Fri afternoon.

One trick I thought of is to use some skewers to keep the butts slightly apart from each other.

I’ll post some pics on how they turn out...

TY again!!!

It’s funny how some things work out. I was t looking forward to possibly how long the smoke could take due to having other things to do as well. Wed I checked to see how the butts were thawing, and the two larger ones which I out in the kitchen fridge seemed to be thawed. BUT the two smaller butts that were in the garage fridge were still completely frozen.... so back in the freezer they went!

The two larger butts went on the smoker at 6:30 last night, and the 8lb was done a little after 9am. The 9lb butt finished up a little after 10am.

They are still resting in a cooler at the moment, but they turned out good, let a small taste of each.

Maybe Labor Day W/E I’ll smoke the other two.

I would post a couple pics, but I haven’t since pb decided to get greedy and I’m not sure how...

Thank you again!!

Good job. I use skewers when I'm standing them on end and stuffing the WSM with butts. It's great when everything works out. but still good eating when it doesn't.

Glad it (mostly) worked out for you. If you use imgur, the pics show up pretty darn big (without us having to click on them to get them "big") <thumbs up> (emojis are very limited here :( )

BTW, I have NO issue with that (I assume it's a cost thing for Chris and that's OK :D ) .

TY!!! The butts are now pulled, bagged, and in the freezer waiting for our camping trip next week.

The first time I smoked the 3- ~9lb butts all on the top rack, I just leaned them against each other. Started thinking there had to be a better way, and thought of the skewers.

Should add that I was only going to smoke the other two just have them done already.

I started signing up for imgur, but didn’t like that you have to follow 5 things... Maybe I didn’t do something right, it was signing up on my phone... I’ll try again on my iPad....

Last edited:
Hey Chris, those look just dandy!
I know I’ve asked you before but, where are you in mid Michigan? I just got home from a week on Hammond Bay lots of kettle use, no smoking but, fine feasting!

Back