Italian sausage Tony Soprano style

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So last night a little change of pace dinner since it was just my daughter and I (and grandson but he had hot dogs). I had a hankering for Italian Sausage Ala Tony Soprano (with grilled bell pepper, grilled mushroom and grilled onions). The Q is a great (grate?) grill for this though the new grates on the Wolf do a wonderful job holding it all too.

pE3fZce.jpg

j0VV1Lh.jpg

Looks good, Larry! I like to smoke mine anymore, but nothing wrong with the way you done it.

The Q's grate held all those veggies without falling through?

Never seen a grill do that until now.

the gaps on the grates on Q grills are pretty narrow, plus, some sections of the grates have even less channels. Most other grills would need one of those veggie baskets or something similar.

It's technically 2 photos and they were actually done at slightly different times. Yes the Q grates actually do hold this type of cooking well as does my new grates on my Wolf thanks to RC doing custom spacing for me so they're only about .25" apart. I can see smoking some sausage (say brats) but never Italian sausage. IMO the flavor profile of well made Italian sausages (hot or mild) just does not belong with smoke

I can see smoking some sausage (say brats) but never Italian sausage. IMO the flavor profile of well made Italian sausages (hot or mild) just does not belong with smoke

You folks live in sausage country. Does Johnsonville fit the bill of a good Italian sausage? Diluigi? Al Fresco?

Sorry but no. They make a decent brat though. I either make my own sausage right down to grinding the pork or I buy it only from a specific butcher shop near my dad's house in Arlington Heights IL that quite honestly makes it even better than my homemade

I don't recall butcher-made sausage links around here, unless some small local pork farmers make it. Some of the grocery chains sell store-made sausage, but it ain't that great.

The big thing down here is bulk (or patty / breakfast) sausage.

Not enough Italians down there to make it worth while for them I guess. If you go to the city of Chicago you will find neighborhoods where you almost need to speak Italian to get by. Anyway some of that has spilled out to suburbs. My dad is one of those people as Italian was his first language as a kid. Anyway when you get to places like Chicago (area and city), New York NY, Boston, Philly, wherever many Italian immigrants settled you will find very well made Italian sausage. I make it myself also but even though what I make is VERY good the shop I buy mine at makes it just as good so when I get in the burbs there I buy a bunch that this particular shop has flash frozen and I stash it for those nights I fell a little "Sopranoish" :D

Actually Tony Soprano passed away this week tragically from a heart attack. He was offense line coach with the Vikings. Formally Dolphins head coach. 56 years of age.

I was talking about THE Tony Soprano from the HBO TV show. On the show many times you see him on a Weber gas or kettle grill doing sausages and peppers

LOL, that was Tony Sparano (not Saprano). I don't think he was known for anything but football. Certainly not sausage.

Yeah it was sad to lose him (Gandolfini) they were actually going to make a Sopranos feature movie and than he up and died. What a shame, plus people said he was truly one of the nice people in acting (though you would not know it from the show) he really was a great actor

Not enough Italians down there to make it worth while for them I guess. If you go to the city of Chicago you will find neighborhoods where you almost need to speak Italian to get by. Anyway some of that has spilled out to suburbs. My dad is one of those people as Italian was his first language as a kid. Anyway when you get to places like Chicago (area and city), New York NY, Boston, Philly, wherever many Italian immigrants settled you will find very well made Italian sausage. I make it myself also but even though what I make is VERY good the shop I buy mine at makes it just as good so when I get in the burbs there I buy a bunch that this particular shop has flash frozen and I stash it for those nights I fell a little "Sopranoish" :D

They're here, but not like they are up north.

There is one Italian immigrant that made a name for himself close to where I grew up...

Then, vice presidential candidate, Pence, made a stop at Tony's in 2016...

Cub1yHeXgAAnU6A.jpg

Tony used to say: “When I come to America, I hava nuthin, now I hava everythinga!”

Last edited:

Back