It's raining Skylines!

Jeff MA

TVWBB All-Star
Kiddin' of course but after reading Member Tony's find of his 1999 Skyline I, too, picked up a Skyline today.

It was listed on Offerup for some time and just recently the price was too good to pass up...Free(!) so I grabbed it. The nice gentleman selling it was the original owner and told me he had recently purchased a new grill after having it for over 18+ years. He even helped me load it into my SUV.

yECoMjp.jpg

Besides some dust and cobwebs it was in surprisingly good shape.A quick bath and it looked more than presentable.

anFgLDu.jpg

Looking over it it has new burner tubes, new stainless flavorizer bars, newer igniter, and what appears to be a brand new hose & regulator assembly.

Jeff

Last edited:
Yah, Jeff. go ahead. GLoat. That is a real winner there. Looks like it is destined to become one of those patio queens. It even has the little basket on the right hand side. I suspect those get tossed/lost quite often over an 18 year period.

That lid looks exceedingly bright and shiny. What did you do to it other than give it a good scrubbing???

Bruce,
The lid is very shiny. I just gave it a quick bath with my Lambwool wash mitt and some car wash soap. It does have two small rust spots so I'll see if I can take those out with some 0000 steel wool and Simple Green.

tiRRtRi.jpg

Nice sykline reflection in the Skyline :rolleyes:

Jeff

Last edited:
That looks like a great one!

I am still in the market. I really want to find one for our friend Rich Dahl. I bet he would consider just getting the hood, wire condiment rack and a few other parts shipped from somewhere else. He could then find a regular Genesis Silver locally to supply the rest. That is how I did mine.

Anybody willing to supply those parts, please let Rich or me know.

Jon

Geeez, if I came across one, I would love to be able to pass it on, but I just don't know if I could do it. It would be great to own a Skyline, but I think maybe there are some on here that are even more enamored with them that I am. I guess I don't have to worry about that until I come across one though.

Jon,
Rich is exactly the guy I was thinking off when I picked up this Skyline.

I am gonna try cleaning up those rust spots on the lid and see what it looks like after a thorough cleaning as it's suppose to be a rainy day tomorrow.If it's up to Rich's standards we can discuss getting the hood and the side basket to Arizona to make his special grill possible.

Jeff

Jon,
Rich is exactly the guy I was thinking off when I picked up this Skyline.

I am gonna try cleaning up those rust spots on the lid and see what it looks like after a thorough cleaning as it's suppose to be a rainy day tomorrow.If it's up to Rich's standards we can discuss getting the hood and the side basket to Arizona to make his special grill possible.

Jeff

Jeff,
That is the best! Rich is such a nice guy, and I would really like to see him do at least one more grill:eek:, and a Skyline seems special to him just like me. We are starting to be like the Weber Kettle Club that I am also a member of. That group will do all kinds of things to help their fellow members assemble some outrageous collections of Weber kettles!

Keep us posted! It has the making of a great story:cool:.

Jon

I don't see the rust unless you mean in that area that looks like a scratch. I would recommend not doing anything except get a little a rust converter product. If you have some rust encapsulator that would be best. Brush it on and wipe it off the so it's level with the finish. Let it cure than brush in some good high gloss black high temp paint. I did this once on a hood I dropped and chipped and it actually held up quite well. It was hard to see where I chipped it even though it was a large area

I wanted to clean the lid to with #0000 steel wool and Simple Green so I can get a good look at it.

Here are the three flaws on the back of the lid-

fLplmIv.jpg

and the one flaw on the top of the lid. Appears to be a outward "ding". I had to open the lid to get a good picture of it as when the lid is closed as it's much harder to spot.

x8kinlz.jpg

Other that that the lid is clean and highly reflective.

Jeff

Yep just do the rust converter and than some gloss black paint. You'll be hard pressed to see it after that

Larry's idea sounds like the best solution. You may have to reapply the paint if you get down and clean it up good after using it, but the blemishes should be quite unnoticiable with a little dab of black gloss paint over them.

I've got a bigger chip/rust spot than that on the hood of my genesis A. I did just what Larry said - rust converter and gloss high temp paint.

You can still see the repair but it's not that noticeable. It was almost 3 years ago I repaired it and it's holding up well. No signs of the rust coming back.

I would say those are really minor issues, especially with a hood with no dreaded fade. I think Larry’s suggestion as echoed by others will work fine. I touched up my Skyline project control panel the same way. No one even sees it.

With a crappy day here in New England I was a bit bored so I went to work on the Skyline. With some PB Blaster, a 7/16" socket and ratchet, and my new Dremel 4300 rotary tool (Thanks Amazon Prime Day!) it was all apart for inspection.

qRPN2tK.jpg

I had to use the Dremel to cut off the Firebox retaining bolt as well as one frame bolt but other than that everything went smooth.The upper frame crossbrace was mint which was a surprise as the last two Weber's I did need some help.

W9G19vg.jpg

The Frame itself was also in nice condition. Usually I find rust by the smaller caster wheels on my restores. From the original owners pictures it was used on a wood porch which probably explains it's condition.

Jeff

Last edited:
Picked up a Silver B today from the same seller who had the Skyline. He wanted both of them off his porch for some new space for his new grill.

i4xcygn.png

Couldn't resist the price :rolleyes:

The good news it all the frame pieces are super clean as well as the hood. The Flavorized Bars have a couple cooking seasons left. It needs new burner tubes and cooking grates as those are both toast.
I figure if he buys the economy Onlyfire ones he could have $70 invested so it's a no-brainer.

It appears the thermoplastic tables have never been cleaned so never having worked on a B/C model I wanted to check it out. I see posts about people sanding them and coating them with mineral oil but i thought the sanding was rather extreme and figured it would hold the grease/grime even more.

How it started-

8EYPzcT.jpg

yFf9Era.jpg

Prerinse in my pool. DO NOT tell the Wife :mad:

gsjDC8o.jpg

My secret weapon for all things disgusting...Dawn Power Dissolver. I love this stuff and buy it by the case. Not sure what's in it but it's the best hands-down cleaner I've ever used, and I've tried a lot.

VFR81CZ.jpg

After letting it sit for 1/2 and hour and hit it with some 0000 steel wool I get rewarded with this-

GEZTIsS.jpg

This grill is going to my bosses Parents to replace their worn out Charbroil and will probably be the last grill they will ever own.

Jeff

Yah, it is crazy how well those thermoset tables clean up. I have never failed to be surprised how well the stains come out of them with some simple cleaner and scrubbing. Weber had a winner with that material.

Back