Refurb assistance needed in NYC

DrewLok

TVWBB Member
Red head refurb assistance needed in NYC

New member on this forum located in Flushing, New York
Can anyone refer/assist with a refurb of a Genesis 1100 redhead.

Weber Genesis 1100 Red head purchased new May 1998
All original except for the durawood trays.

Started the process of dismantling to replace the burner tubes and this is where this project begins
Purchased new:
Burner tubes
Igniter
Stainless steel flavorizer bars and grates
Left side fold up tray
Bottom accessory trays

Looking to refinish the hood, hood end caps and frame rails.
Clean up the firebox (inside) and refinish the exterior
Finally replace the durawood with real wood

There is no rust just a bit weathered.

DIn2ZKEl.jpg

4Fj5xpHl.jpg

h6vaR6ml.jpg

Last edited:
The preferred method for cleaning the hood is to use simple green and steel wool. On the outside of the lid, use #0000 steel wool. On the inside, first scrape the majority of the carbon away with a razor blade scraping tool. Then use #0 steel wool or even house hold steel wool to take it down to the bare ceramic. The entire hood is ceramic coated, inside and out. Unless it has physical damage or possibly sun damage in the form of oxidation, it will look virtually brand new when done.

Next, take the end caps and if the paint is chipping and peeling badly, then you should use an angle grinder with a 4" wire cup brush and strip the paint. You can use the wire cup brush to clean off the gunk on the inside of the end caps as well. Then repaint the outsides with a good high heat paint such as Rustoleum Ultra High Heat.

Next, if the outside of the fire box is in bad shape, use the angle grinder to strip the paint and gunk from that as well. If the paint on the outside is in good shape, but stained, you can leave it but, use a good cleaner and then a solvent like Xylene before you repaint it. Use the angle grinder to take the inside down to the bare aluminum. Next, repaint the outside if needed with a good high heat paint. I like Rustoleum High heat flat black.

There are different approaches to replacing the wood for the tables. It seems the most popular is to buy 1x2 premium cedar boards from a place like Lowes, cut them to length, sand them down some so they are not quite as thick and then stain them however you prefer and the coat with a good outdoor preservative such as Spar varnish or something like Teak Oil. Then install them in the brackets.

If there is no real rust on the frame, just clean it down with something like Simple green and then wipe it down with something like rubbing alcohol before repainting. You will want to use a high temp paint on the upper part where it is close to the fire box. If you like you can use that on whole frame or go to a regular paint on the other parts. I use Rustoleum Ultra High Heat and Rustoleum 2X black gloss on the frame.

There are many threads on refurbishing these grills. Spend some time going through them and you will find several other methods or tweaks to how I like to do it. Then formulate a plan for your job and go to it.

Here is a good start. https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?69...together-a-quot-How-To-quot-Restoration-Guide

Good luck and how about some before and after pictures when you get a chance.

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce for your reply! I will post pictures before refurb shortly.

Have some additional questions.
On the frame is a propane level sticker, did you remove it before respraying? Where did you find a replacement sticker?

Regarding the cedar wood, I was unable to find 1x2 cedar planks at either Home Depot or Lowes. Is there anyone selling a finished set?
The z bars from rcplanebuyer are finished in aluminum. Are people spraying the new brackets black again?

Forgot to get high temp matte black paint for the cook box or is using the ultra satin gloss black ok?

Last edited:
To be honest, I either peel them off or paint over them when doing rehabs. IMO, the tank level indicators are very innacurate. I always do the feel test on my propane tanks. I think someone else asked on here about replacement stickers and IIRC there was a source some where, but I can't remember where.

I know of no one selling finished sets of cedar planks for the shelves. If some one on here has a shop and tools to easily do them, it could be a good side job. I personally do my own but am not interested in going into that business.

The Z brackets from RCP are stainless and could be left bare, but I think that might not look too good, I would paint them.

I use matte for the cook box and satin on the lid end caps. Some like the gloss on the cook box however.

On the frame is a propane level sticker, did you remove it before respraying? Where did you find a replacement sticker?

Regarding the cedar wood, I was unable to find 1x2 cedar planks at either Home Depot or Lowes. Is there anyone selling a finished set?
The z bars from rcplanebuyer are finished in aluminum. Are people spraying the new brackets black again?

Forgot to get high temp matte black paint for the cook box or is using the ultra satin gloss black ok?

Here is some info on printing one off that may serve the purpose.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?58638-Restoring-the-family-Weber-Red-Head&highlight=level+sticker

On the frame is a propane level sticker, did you remove it before respraying? Where did you find a replacement?

I am currently working on making actual decals. I will post a thread soon with an update. There is a link here for a template if you want to make your own. I made my own template and felt the real issue is having decals printed to make it easy for restorers to utilize.

On the black colors, there are a few trains of thought. I would agree that Weber originally used a flat black on the firebox and probably a satin on the side pieces. This contrasts with the gloss black frame. On the later Genesis Silvers and Golds I believe they transitioned to using a gloss black on the sides and maybe satin on the firebox. I personally like that and also like ones I have seen with all gloss black. It is really a preference only consideration unless you are doing a very early Genesis and are trying for historical authenticity.

I am currently working on making actual decals. I will post a thread soon with an update. There is a link here for a template if you want to make your own. I made my own template and felt the real issue is having decals printed to make it easy for restorers to utilize.

Jon, I've used this vendor before: http://www.clickitandstickit.com/dont-see-your-decal-click-here/

He asked for a photo of the sticker I wanted reproduced and then asked for the rough dimensions of it. No minimum purchase, no payment up front. Here's a sample of what he reproduced for me:

http://www.clickitandstickit.com/yamaha-ys-624-snowblower-throttle-decal/

Guys, skip the decals. I have some original Weber OEM ones coming in that I will make available to all.

I attempted to dismantle the redhead yesterday afternoon but the rain prevented me from getting very far.
One thing I did notice, the axle that holds the 8" wheels is rusted. Of course this part is no longer available.
Recommendations? Sand down and spray black or does anyone have an extra axle?

Drew. I guess I would try to sand down and paint. I believe they are galvanized steel and sanding them will remove the rust, but also the zinc plating. But, since it already rusting means the zinc plating is already gone to a large extent.

If you find that not acceptable, PM and I am pretty sure I can dig one up in my garage of horrors.

Guys, skip the decals. I have some original Weber OEM ones coming in that I will make available to all.

Dave,

I, too, understood that you could no longer get them from Weber. Please put me in for as many as 10 if that is possible. If not, whatever you can apportion my way.

Before I go through with making my own, what is the future availability and price? I was just trying to make new decals for everyone to use, but if you can still get Weber ones at a fair price there isn't any sense in that. Let me (and all of us) know when you can. THANKS!!!

Jon

These do rust, and it seems that once they do they will again soon after you clean them up. My suggestion is to find clear lacquer to paint over after you clean up. They are actually a very standard size, however, and you can buy new metal and cut it to size. Maybe even stainless if you are lucky. I have bought regular steel at our Ace Hardware, and I am sure the big box stores have it.

Back