Jerk Chicken Wings

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Tried out a new recipe for Jerk Chicken. Sided it up with some Caribbean Rice and a nice cool Mango Salad. Here's the pictures.

Today was supposed to be a little cooler. It was, it only got up to 110. Took this quick shot of a few woodpeckers hunkered down in the Mulberry next to the house. They all had open beaks and seemed truly miserable. Lousy picture. Sorry

enhance

Put together the spices for the Jerk marinade. Includes scallions, garlic, small onion, habanero peppers (used three, will use more next time), lime juice, soy sauce. OO,, brown sugar, thyme leaves, ground allspice, grated fresh nutmeg, cinnamon and s&p to taste.

enhance

Gave it a ride in the Ninja.

enhance

Marinade done. Put 12 wings in a ziplock with the marinade and let it go in the fridge for 24 hours.

enhance

Put together a Mango Salad earlier in the day.

enhance

Got the sings out of the marinade and skewered up.

enhance

It was so darned hot today I decided to do the rice outside rather than heat the kitchen up for 45 minutes or so. Rice, water, coconut milk, grated ginger,, garlic and lime zest. Brought to boil... didn't take long!

enhance

Reduced heat and let simmer for about 40 minutes.

enhance

Chicken on.

enhance

Moved to cool side to bring IT up to 165.

enhance

Plated things up.

enhance

Everything came out good. Loved the flavor of that marinade. Just wish the spice heat was a couple notches higher. My wife loved it the way it was. The rice and mango salad were a nice compliment to the chicken. Thanks for looking everyone! Have a great weekend.

That looks great. I really dig the sword skewers. I need to get myself some of those.

Doesn't get better than that.

Did you add more salt than was pictured? My Jerk (walkerswood) seems to be about 25% salt. I bet the wings picked up a ton of flavor with the 24 hour marinade. Any more info on the mango salad? Mangoes are plentiful this time of year, I might want to try it.

4 cups of Jerk seasoning.....I wonder if it'd freeze well...... I'd like to try to make that too.

Always a treat to watch the eats :D Wish I was there ;)

You'd have added a couple ghost pepppers! I bet they'd be a fine addition, along with a little mango near the peel (my cousin who spent some time in the West Indies eats the peel) (the peel tastes piney, similar to a hab).

Excellent!!! Great color on the wings and a beautiful plate. I'm sure you will have the heat dialed in next time. No peas in the rice?

I'm a Walkerswood fan - love the stuff. If you have tried it, how would you compare it to your homemade jerk?

Super looking wings and sides Cliff!
Smart idea using the roti spit for support.

Nothing wrong with your bird shots, just needed a little cropping and contrast adjustment. :)

Thank you everyone!!

Did you add more salt than was pictured? Any more info on the mango salad? Mangoes are plentiful this time of year, I might want to try it.

You'd have added a couple ghost pepppers!

Just the salt that was pictured Clint. It's 1 1/2 tbsps.

Recipe called for Scotch Bonnets and of course they're nowhere to be found up here. Subbed with the habs.

Mango Salsa recipe

Fresh Mango Salsa

INGREDIENTS
• 3 ripe mangos, diced (see photos)
• 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
• 1/2 cup chopped red onion
• 1/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
• 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
• 1 large lime, juiced (about 1/4 cup lime juice)
• 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt, to taste
INSTRUCTIONS
1. In a serving bowl, combine the prepared mango, bell pepper, onion, cilantro and jalapeño. Drizzle with the juice of one lime and mix well. Season to taste with salt. For best flavor, let the salsa rest for 10 minutes or longer.

Internet recipe. cookieandkate.com

No peas in the rice?

I'm a Walkerswood fan - love the stuff. If you have tried it, how would you compare it to your homemade jerk?

Not this cook but check out my cook tomorrow. Peas are coming. Probably won't post until Monday.

Walkerswood is stronger, no comparison as far as heat either. Mine had a nice flavor though. I don't think a house full of guests would have complained

Nothing wrong with your bird shots, just needed a little cropping and contrast adjustment. :)

Thanks Bob. That really cleaned the shot up. Still plugging away here with my new lenses.:( I think I've taken a couple of steps backwards.

Last edited:
Cliff, you did it again awesome cook. Chicken outstanding and your Mango salad awesome. Glad your weather cooled down some but still has a ways to go.

With my meds I can't take a lot of heat anymore. Although I sure would chow down on that plate and take the pain later, looks great.

Back