WSM Cart

ClaudeG

When not in use, I store my WSM underneath my deck. I figured it was just a matter of time before I hit my head on a floor joist so I finally decided to design a cart that I could simply roll my WSM around instead of carrying it.

I also decided to include room for a concrete countertop where i'll be able to use a dutch oven.

Frame Dimensions:
Lenght: 5' total (2' - smoker platform section, 3' countertop section)
Depth: 2'
Height: 32" (countertop will add another 2")

In order to be strong enough to hold a 2" concrete countertop, I decided to use 1 1/2 square tubing for the frame.

43521054521_f33b7c72a8_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_20180519_174010 by kld gd, on Flickr[/IMG]

Current design has 4" casters at the front of the cart and legs at the rear. The idea was to lift the back of the cart and push it to desired location. The combination of underestimating total weight and lack of leverage (due to handle height) makes it difficult to move around.

The bottom of the cart has 2 rails made up of 1" angle iron to support and attach floor boards. 3/4" angle iron were used for the 2 rails used to support and attach the sides.

To secure the WSM while cart is motion, I have a bolt going through the floor board (secured by T-nut) that goes through each leg. I grinded down a portion of the thread and drilled a whole where I can slide a hairpin cutter pin to lock it in place. I wanted to be able to remove my smoker from the cart for easier cleanup.

Planned modifications include replacing legs with 10' wheels and putting swivel casters in the front and adding a concrete countertop

Last edited:
Thanks Chris, not sure what I was doing wrong when I first tired to generate the link, wasn't seeing the option to generate the BBCode.

If you want portability I would reconsider the concrete countertop. Especially if it is already difficult to move around. A 1.5" thick concrete countertop averages a little less than 20 lbs per square foot. You'd be adding 60-100 lbs of weight to that cart.

Back