Genesis Refurb - Ultra (semi-gloss) vs High Heat (satin)

Jim Falc

Hello all! I’m very excited to be about halfway through my first Genesis refurb. I have a 1993 Redhead I’m cleaning right now. I’m about ready to paint the firebox and side panels but would like to see more photos to decide on a glossy or matte paint. Can we post photos of the fire boxes/lid sides you’ve done along with the paint you’ve used? I think it would be useful for folks like me to make up their minds. And it’s awesome looking at your beautiful rehabs.

CarmLcx.jpg
[/IMG]

That is Krylon High Heat Max on the end caps, and Rustoleum High Heat on the firebox.

Rustoleum Ultra High Heat black gloss on the lid end caps. Rustoleum Hight heat Matte on the fire box.

aIDhmKr.jpg

pqz3V2F.jpg

Same here:

By the way, this is also a 1993 Redhead:

QUls7UQ.jpg

Q4KXPsY.jpg

lwCii12.jpg

Hello all! I’m very excited to be about halfway through my first Genesis refurb. I have a 1993 Redhead I’m cleaning right now. I’m about ready to paint the firebox and side panels but would like to see more photos to decide on a glossy or matte paint. Can we post photos of the fire boxes/lid sides you’ve done along with the paint you’ve used? I think it would be useful for folks like me to make up their minds. And it’s awesome looking at your beautiful rehabs.

Personally I am not impressed with the Rusto High Heat but Bruce has done way more grills than I have obviously, I would try the Krylon that Jon and Th is using and to me I see no need to paint the firebox a different sheen than the lid. I actually have a thread on the caliper paint I had a problem with the rusto bad results I think this was bad prep wipe it down before you paint it with De-natured alchol that is of course after you degrease it with simple green or dawn.

I am not going to suggest the caliper paint I am testing it in a respray and will report in a few months I love the gloss finish and its high gloss. But we will see if it holds up and the look is not for everyone. I have a thread where you can see pictures of what it looks like.

Yah, I am open to alternatives. I just have ample access to the Rustoleum and it seems to do fine for me. But, I would certainly be willing to try others.

I am in the process of doing an E320 with the gray end caps. They are in decent shape, but they are going to need a new fresh coat. They have a couple chips so I will feather them out and repaint the whole end cap. I know someone found a fairly close color in the a High Heat variety and I can't remember what it was. If anyone knows, let me know. I will probably be spraying them later next week.

I'd love to see a grill with gloss top and bottom. I'm thinking in a couple years of going in that direction. By a couple years, I mean a couple months.

Yeah I think that would be fine on a silver b or a Genesis 1000. But I'm trying to get something close for an e 310 end cap

Bruce,
My pic was intended for the original poster, Jim.

For your E310 I would check out maybe the Charcoal or Goldenfire Brown from Stove Bright.

6LlNLus.jpg

Jeff

Jeff, I ordered the Charcoal. I though the goldenfire brown looked pretty good, but since I am color blind, i figured anything with "Brown" in it wasn't going to be a good match.

Bruce,
My pic was intended for the original poster, Jim.

For your E310 I would check out maybe the Charcoal or Goldenfire Brown from Stove Bright.

6LlNLus.jpg

Jeff

Jeff, That is a whole new option I had never even seen. Thanks for sharing. I will be interested to see how Bruce does with the charcoal gray. The Goldenfire Brown looks pretty close on my iPad, but I wonder if it is really as gray as my screen makes it look. Maybe I will be the guinea pig for that one since I have two Genesis 300 series that need repainting.

Jon,
I ordered the Charcoal and I also requested a sample of the New Bronze. C/S emailed me back and said they would be sending me a sample sheet. I assume it will be similar to that above. But I will have it in hand and not have to worry about color variances with digital displaces. I can place up next to my E320 end caps for comparison. I will post up some results of that when I get it.

Well I scraped sanded and decreased the end caps and tried my hand at Ultra. It looks like absolute crap. Even though I scraped really well, and sanded three times, and scraped again and sanded again, there are still little pieces that decided to start flaking once I painted with Ultra.

Honestly I don’t think it would look any better with flat black paint. Any suggestions to make it look less horrible?

Flaking? It sounds like you are leaving behind contaminants. I have painted dozens of sets of end caps. Some completely down to the bare aluminum and some just overcoated and I never had any peeling or flaking after wards.

Are you prepping them with anything after sanding and scraping?

Flaking? It sounds like you are leaving behind contaminants. I have painted dozens of sets of end caps. Some completely down to the bare aluminum and some just overcoated and I never had any peeling or flaking after wards.

Are you prepping them with anything after sanding and scraping?

Scrape sand then wash with water. Let dry then brake cleaner to remove any sanding residue. To be clear, the old paint is what continues to flake, not the new paint. As soon as I started spraying the new on I would see the old paint coming up.

Jim, then you are probably better off stripping them down to bare aluminum. Even if you get up all the loose old paint, it is going to look really bad and uneven in texture.

The brake cleaner could be what is causing that problem. You might consider trying something a little less aggressive, like rubbing alcohol. Brake cleaner is a pretty strong solvent, and after sanding and everything, rubbing alcohol is plenty to prep the surface for painting. Just two cents.

The brake cleaner will not cause an issue. I use it all the time when refinishing things with no trouble whatever. Rubbing alcohol is not strong enough to cut through the grease on a grill no way. The brake cleaner or "carb" cleaner (as long as it reads no lubricant some of them have lubricant) will work fine and leave no residue. I buy the stuff like crazy. I use it when I refinish mixers, grill, even when do a little touch up on a car. It works just great in a pinch.
You can also use lacquer thinner or enamel reducer as well. All dry clean and no residue. I like the brake cleaner because it's cheap and I like that it sprays

I usually wipe my parts down with rubbing alcohol just prior to spraying paint, but brake cleaner would be a good cleaner, then a quick wipe with alcohol would remove any left over residue if you are worried about it. I use TSP to do my initial cleaning. It is a strong cleaner (phosphate) that is used to prep for painting. But it is actually not allowed to be sold in a lot of places. Then just prior to painting, I use alcohol to remove dust and residue. Works for me.

Back