26" Red Patent Pending Red Aristocrat

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I recently was able to pick up a pretty old "patent pending" 26 inch red kettle. It has a number of battle scars, but nothing like the one that went for over $100 plus $120 shipping on eBay not too long ago! I got this one for $35;). It has a missing handle and one of the leg holders was rusted off and put back with screws.

jrxhxt.jpg

5jtdzk.jpg

11m69uq.jpg

A fellow member of the Weber Kettle Club is helping me out with a spare metal handle, and I am hoping to get it and the leg piece welded back on. Missing the top wood handle - WKC member makes perfect replicas of these. Also missing the ash pan, but there is another guy on WKC who makes amazing replacements. The other big challenge, as many of you know, is that these old 26 flat-tops were built differently than the current 26'ers. The grates sit lower (since the dome was low and flat). Thus they are a smaller size than the current offering for replacements, making getting a new grate that fits a tall order:(. I am trying out a soak of the original grate in a similar product to Evaporust. I don't plan to use the grate for searing or other direct cooking, so as long as I can get the rust off and get it oiled it would be OK with me. I expect to use this grill where it shines: doing full racks of ribs! For that, the ribs would most likely be in a rib rack.

Any suggestions on replacement grates or other repairs will be gladly received!

I swear Jon you could turn over a rock and find a grill to mess with. That's a nice score and great your going to use it as a dedicated rib cooker, pretty cool.

Any suggestions on replacement grates or other repairs will be gladly received!

I'd post a request in the trade section for a 26" grillmark replacement for the cooking grate. Doubt they are still produced, but there are folks who stockpiled them during a True Value closeout a few years back and might have a spare one. I use them in my flattop 26ers and they are a perfect fit.

For Vintage 26" Replacement grates there are few options on

http://killagrilla.com/

Chiku,
Thanks very much for the recommendation and again for your kindness in helping me with the Broilmaster and allowing me to be a welcome guest in your home. Indian food and treats were wonderful:eek:!

I went ahead with getting the KillaGrilla stainless with the large fold up side piece.

To you who may not know, KillaGrilla is the RCPlanebuyer of Kettle grill grates. I already had a 22 inch version, and I can say from experience that they are top drawer high grade stainless. Should last almost forever and much easier to clean! I heartily recommend his workmanship. Like RCPlanebuyer his stuff is not cheap but well worth it. I haven’t seen anything else that is really close.

I swear Jon you could turn over a rock and find a grill to mess with. That's a nice score and great your going to use it as a dedicated rib cooker, pretty cool.

Rich,
You know some of my best finds are ones labeled innocuously. This one was listed as “grill charcoal”. If you just search for “Weber” you won’t see them all. Then, of course, there is “Webber” which has landed me at least one nice grill.

Back