Restoring grease tray slide mounts on older Weber Genesis X000?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I have come across a few Genesis 1000 or 2000 where the bolts had rusted away which hold the grease tray sliders in place. Or even worse where the cast aluminum spacers where broken around the bolts. Has anyone come across a decent fix and doable fix for that?
I wonder if it would make sense to cut off the spacers with the rusted in bolts all together, drill holes in the firebox and then use longer bolts and angled spacers to fix that.

Not sure the pic is understandable. Current mount in the above drawing and new setup in the lower drawing. Both overly simplified.

37342697_10212211758552761_7618218638079688704_n.jpg

Consider some JB Weld. There are dozens of types of JB weld and I repaired a similar structure on a boat motor years ago. I thought for sure it would never hold, but it did. The stuff is truly amazing.

Stefan,
That is exactly what the former owner of my 5000 did- use small machine screws and run them into the firebox. I have another cook box to remedy the situation.

Jeff

I have come across a few Genesis 1000 or 2000 where the bolts had rusted away which hold the grease tray sliders in place. Or even worse where the cast aluminum spacers where broken around the bolts. Has anyone come across a decent fix and doable fix for that?
I wonder if it would make sense to cut off the spacers with the rusted in bolts all together, drill holes in the firebox and then use longer bolts and angled spacers to fix that.

Not sure the pic is understandable. Current mount in the above drawing and new setup in the lower drawing. Both overly simplified.

37342697_10212211758552761_7618218638079688704_n.jpg

This is what I did in this thread I used quiksteel but the jb weld might work fine I just prefer the quiksteel kneed it works well but in one of the posts did not get enough in the inside was trying to not fill the screw holes to keep the screws in the same position and with heat the tray rail dropped. So I filled the post with quiksteel used the size screws I listed coated the problem post screw with 3 and one oil pushed the screw half way down into the quiksteel let it set a minute unscrewed it then let it set. After a day just screwed it back in holding fine ever since since it self taps its epoxy. I found a video on this can't find it again.

I would try to repair those posts before drilling thru the firebox holding fine for 6 months.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72072-Score!!!/page2

Back