Weekend Spareribs and Mac and Cheese

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Picked up a nice rack of Spares over the weekend. It was too darned hot to use the kitchen on Sunday so I broke out the ribs. In spite of the heat, I still went with a low and slow cook. Sided things up with a new macaroni and cheese I've been wanting to try and a nice cool green salad. Here's a few pictures.

These were supposed to be trimmed Kansas City style ribs. Once I opened them up I found I still had some work to do to get them to my liking. After trimming I rubbed them down with R Butts R Smokin. Set aside and let the rub set.

enhance

Up and running at 225. Pecan for smoke. Going to let it roll for around 6 hours, no foil or sauce.

enhance

Took this shot around 5:00. Our hot weather is coming in Wednesday and Thursday.

enhance

This mac and cheese gave me plenty to do while the ribs were rolling along. Besides the two main stars, pasta and cheese, there were a few other players as well. The two peppers on the rear of the grill are poblanos.

Got them nice and toasty and then steamed and skinned the peppers, did some chopping and threw in the grilled corn.

enhance

enhance

About the halfway mark for the ribs.

enhance

After the ribs passed the 5 hour mark, I got the Mac and Cheese on. Before the final mix I sauteed a couple pieces of smoked bacon and then some chopped garlic. Added a couple cups of Half and Half, brought to a boil and thickened with a little flour. Then mixed everything and placed in a ten inch skillet.

enhance

enhance
[/IMG]

Rack probed perfectly and is done.

enhance

So is the side.

enhance

-------------------

Plated.

enhance

Here's some petunias I hung in my grilling area.

enhance

OK, OK, that's a big fat lie! July 4th, Ashland Oregon. Many of these hanging all over the city.

Dry rubbed ribs are my favorite but my wife always has preferred the sauced ribs. After tasting these she said they were the best ribs she's ever tasted. I thought they were pretty good too. The mac and cheese didn't disappoint either. Thanks for looking and enjoy your week everyone.

Last edited:
Outstanding cook, Cliff. That mac and cheese looks killer.

(The petunias are nice too)

Killer ribs! Love the mac and cheese. Are there onions in it? Beautiful plate.
We're fans of no sauce ribs, too. Although.... sometimes we go the other way.

WOW!!! Cliff, those ribs are awesome but that mac and cheese over the top. I'd be happy to eat a plate of that. That's a gorgeous basket of petunias.

Not much I can add to what's above, the plated picture says it all, very nice.
Here the monsoons have kept the temps down to mostly low to mid eighties, but they are doing some serious damage. Sunday 3 inches of rain, Monday 2.4 inches in the afternoon and yesterday afternoon 2.5 inches in 2 hours with 50-60 mph winds and lots of lighting and thunder, my whole back yard was underwater.

Cliff that was some cook you did. It all looks really GUUD! Wife says that Mac & Cheese looks perfect!
Great post!
Pretty flowers too.
We finally got a guud rain here yesterday. Rich send the monsoons north we'll take more.

Everything looks great Cliff...As hot as it's been all you need to do is set the kettle in the sun to pre warm for a hour or so and throw your grub in no need for Charcoal the intense heat of the sun will do all the work.

Back