Lid Bolts

You can try pushing them into the lid from the outside. I have used a thin spade head screwdriver on the outside to brace them. Once the nuts start turning usually they will spin off.

I usually use a sharp chisel to get under the nut and pry it up to put pressure on the bolt. Then I stick my drill driver on it with a 7/16" socket and turn it off. It takes some time on some grills and others, it is a piece of cake. Sometimes I wind up just wrecking the self tapping nut to get it off. You can replace them with real stainless steel nuts. In fact, when I refurb a grill, I replace the bolts and nuts with Stainless steel. It makes them look kinda cool.

T9J0wbv.jpg

For the badge, I have used a razor in a cutter, not like a box cutter but a diagonal razor. Gently (GENTLY!) pry the pressure washers loose, then slowly and deliberately and safely keep prying and prying and they will come off. Just take your time and remember how much easier it is for that razor blade to cut your fingers than it is to cut through some aluminum pressure washer and you'll be fine.

Again, be patient and safe.

Slainte!

Tim

For the badge, I just cut the push nuts off. It is tough to get them off without ruining them. I bought about 20 of them at an ACE hardware for about two dollars. But, I have since gone to the method of just using some RTV red to paste them back on.

For what it's worth, my badge is stuck to my lid with red RTV. I just recently pulled it off to redo it, and it is surprisingly easy to do. In other words, don't be afraid to use the RTV method to stick the badge on for fear of not being able to remove it later, it comes right off if you need to.

Larry, I have noticed that they (Weber) started using it on their E310's at some point. They put a couple solid lines along each edge of the lid between the lid and end caps. I think the reason isn't so much to attach them (they still use the nuts and bolts) but to seal the lid so the heat and smoke doesn't leak out and stain the end cap and lid. Probably something I should do on all my refurbs, to include the Silver B's and 1000's.

Back