1998 "Greenie" restoration - Weber Genesis 1000

TonyS T-Bone

TVWBB Super Fan
Over three long weekends, and using every morsel of information and advice that you all kindly share on this forum day in and day out, I completed a restoration of my 20 year old Genesis 1000 which, other than a few grate changes, has never been touched. I de-greased, power washed, scrubbed, polished, painted and/or replaced practically every part worth replacing. I'll tally up the cost someday while I'm watching a pork shoulder smoke lol.

Lessons learned:
1. Have a plan and a schedule going in - it keeps you on course, and makes sure you have parts ready (or painted, etc.) when you are ready.
2. Don't be afraid to shop around for parts - I was surprised at how prices for the same item can vary between vendors.
3. Take photos, and make notes of disassembly procedure, and put small parts in a ziploc bag - and don't throw anything away until you are done.
4. Some baked on grease just ain't gonna come off. My right arm fell off before I got all the carbon removed. I threw in the towel.
5. The information and knowledge that I was able to obtain by studying this forum are priceless. You will be wise to learn before you churn.

Thanks to all who may have unknowingly helped a newbie find the courage to take on this resto.

Here's a short summary of some B+A pics ~

The 20-year old greenie:
gdPbnf3.jpg

Looks a little nicer now. Bottom table replaced with bottom pieces of an iCrate 18" x 24" puppy cage! (although that plastic won't hold up!)
SkC23rb.jpg

Some rust in the usual spots, but not too bad!:
wZMZqL5.jpg

Control panel w knobs worn out!:
URlA253.jpg

Durawood side tables and handle replaced with clear pine
NA7yFCX.jpg

Control panel and lid shined up nicely. Used hex button screws to attach side panels back to lid. (All SS McMaster Carr hardware)
PawftMz.jpg

Baskets by Weber. SS grates and FBars by grillparts.com
u3lXvvb.jpg

Side view, new burner tubes, manifold painted, valves lubed. Power washer too intense for side panels you can see spots where texture got ruined
AsUdasA.jpg

346N7rd.jpg

Have a great summer. Time to go season my new grill.
SkC23rb.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great! I like the wood look over the durawood, the pine looks really great! I hope you used spar varnish or linseed oil on the wood.

Very nice restore. I have a 99 greenie 1000 that I bought new and upgraded to a 2000 last year.
That grill will last you another twenty years or more. I like the look of the pine, but with 9 Weber's to look after I stayed with the durawood for ease of maintenance.
If I ever find a skyline that will get the full blown wood look and will be a patio queen.

In twenty more years, you can do it all over again. At least you will know what you are getting yourself into when you do.

Thanks Rich, I figure if the pine starts to go bad, I'd just order new z-bars (cause they are on their last legs!), and change out the wood to some other species - it should be a quick fabrication.

Very nice restore. Very cool that you've owned and used the same grill for 20 years. Wish I had bought a weber 20 years ago. It would have saved me a lot of time, money and aggravation.

Greg, I couldn't agree more. I have a 1993 Genesis 1000. I just got it last year and refurbished it. I regret not buying one 25 years ago new.

Came out nice Tony-good job.

I had my Weber 700 for 19 years before selling it to a good Family friend so it too was a "special" grill to me as well.

Jeff

Very nice restore. I have a 99 greenie 1000 that I bought new and upgraded to a 2000 last year.
That grill will last you another twenty years or more. I like the look of the pine, but with 9 Weber's to look after I stayed with the durawood for ease of maintenance.
If I ever find a skyline that will get the full blown wood look and will be a patio queen.

Rich,

I am still on the lookout for you! There's a Skyline out there somewhere.

2e1zii0.jpg

Jon

Jon

Tony,

Great job, especially since this one has personal history for you. If you do ever need to get z brackets, a lot of us would recommend Dave Santana aka "rcplanebuyer". He generally runs an ad on Craigslist San Francisco Bay area. Look for something like "Weber bars" to find him, but then you can ask him for what you need.

The green is a really nice (my college!) color. It looks great with nice wood accents. Enjoy!

Hi Dave, I have no idea how that knob got a hole in it. For now, I am assuming 20 years of rubbing my right middle knuckle on it every time I deployed it! Maybe dry rot or whatever the plastic equivalent is?

Looks awesome. I have a very similar model with a maroon lid which I also want to convert to real wood. But all my grill projects are on hold for now. It is too freaking hot right now. Temperatures are supposed to get to 106 on Friday.

Finally moderated a bit up north here. I got out to do some grinding and initial priming on an E310 cabinet.

Thanks Jon, I look every day in Prescott, Flagstaff, Phoenix, Las Vegas so far nada, By the way that picture is killing me...I want it! :D

I am scanning much of Florida, and I scout OfferUp “shipping” which is full of flakes who don’t understand and list their items as available to ship but then won’t:mad:! I have had good success with local OfferUp sellers, but the shipping thing definitely needs work.

Anyway, we ARE going to find one for you!

Jon

I agree with all if I bought my Redhead even 15 years ago with the amount of junk that i have owned and trashed over the years it would have been paid for many times over and still working better than the junk I owned.

Tony you did a really nice job on that looks great.

Last edited:

Back