Ideas for new things to smoke

I’ve done the basics (pulled pork, ribs, whole chickens, wings, pulled beef, meatloaf) in a couple of different recipes. Looking for something new to smoke. I’m limited to a WSM 14.5 so I have stayed away from brisket but I would say that is the only non-basic thing I have tried.

Any ideas for new stuff to smoke? Any recipes you guys love?

Turkey breast is great imo. My wife digs smoked salmon, and I’ll lightly smoke littleneck clams with it. I smoke cashews, peanuts, etc. All kinds of sausages and peppers for sandwiches. Did a killer chuck roast last week.

Not sure this really helped, but I know what you mean. When I hit that rut I check out the recipes section here.

Cheese! Hard cooked eggs is one thing I tried when I got my “A-Maze-N” tube, they were.....interesting.
Nuts are fabulous!
I might do some of those this week!

Peaches work great. I try to use higher heat (300 degrees) and shorter time for them.

If you like projects that are more involved, you could try making your own bacon. Lots of good threads about bacon in this forum.

+1 for cheese and nuts. There are some very good smoked nut recipes web site side here. I've done variations on the spicy smoke almonds a couple times and everyone who tries them comes back for more.

I particularly like smoked Gouda. It takes the smoke very well. Softer cheeses will generally take on more smoke that hard ones. Cheese is better done during the cooler months, though, as you don't want it getting too warm. It's also helpful to have a cold smoking tool like one of the A-Maze-N products. But you can do it with plain old charcoal and smoke wood chunks too.

If you don't mind a bit more time involvement, home made Canadian bacon is excellent and really not all that difficult. You can turn a $2/lb. pork loin into some mighty fine eating with just a few ingredients and some time in the refrigerator curing.

I might also suggest doing a roast beef on the smoker. I did our Christmas roast that way last year and it was fantastic. Low and slow until about 15 degrees of your desired level of doneness, then pull and let it coast the rest of the way. When the internal temps starts to drop, sear it on the grill or in a hot pan to get the browned exterior you want. I pulled the middle section off the WSM and set the grate on top of the charcoal ring, using the now very hot coals to do the final sear. Not sure I recommend this as it was really too hot and did more burning than searing. I also got a LOT of flare up due to rendering fat. Probably better in a pan on the stove. Much more control.

I second the tri-tip. I have made several following Chris's recipe and it is always excellent. For anyone in Chicago area, I have found that Caputo's usually has them (you may need to ask for them at the meat counter).

My brother does cabbage, I’m not much of a cabbage fan anyway but, it was pretty good.
Cheese is best done when weather is cool and keep temperature quite low, otherwise, it can get...messy!
Tri tip is good too, Canadian bacon is surprisingly easy, regular bacon takes a little more time but, well worth it!
Lamb is really good grilled but, I’m not so sure how much smoke it would take, worth an experiment for sure.

Casseroles ( Tuna & noodles, lasagna, cabbage rolls, Shepard pie, mac & cheese)
Salisbury steaks are great smoked, just like hamburgers or try some different cuts of beef like knuckle, top or bottom round, or tenderloin.
Same with pork, cuts from the loin, sirloin or country style ribs.
Just think of the WSM as an outdoor oven with smoke flavor and the possibilities are endless.:wsm:

Tim

I forgot to add stuffed peppers, ( good stuff) and if you want to feed an army, chuck roll or a beef clod.
I would love to do a "Baron of Beef" ( Steamship Round) but a 50# primal cut would be hard pressed to fit on a 22.5" WSM without some creative butchering or thinking.( maybe a stacker?)

Tim

How about pizza???

It’s something I need to try again... I did it when I first got the smoker, but it was a little strong on the smoked flavor....

Back