2018 Clayton BBQ Cookoff, Clayton CA

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
The Clayton BBQ Cookoff is located in the quaint town of Clayton, CA about 33 miles east of San Francisco. It lies in the shadow of Mt. Diablo, one of the highest peaks in the San Francisco Bay Area. The pastor of the church where we judged this contest told me that locals say Clayton is a lot like Mayberry from "The Andy Griffith Show", meaning it's a small town from a simpler time and everyone knows everyone. I think he's right and there's nothing wrong with that, because I love this little town as a venue for a barbecue contest.

This was my second year judging barbecue in Clayton. For many years the downtown business association held a backyard barbecue contest for prizes and bragging rights, then in 2017 organizer Rory Richmond upgraded it to a KCBS Competitor's Series contest (pro teams and backyard teams turning in chicken and pork ribs only). For 2018 it was upgraded yet again to a KCBS Master Series contest (pro teams turning in all four competition meats, backyard teams turning in chicken and pork ribs only).

The contest takes over the entire downtown area. The cooking teams are organized in an area adjacent to Main Street and tucked behind the Clayton Community Church where the judges do their work. Main Street is filled with food, drink, and merchandise vendors, and at the end of the street is a grassy park with live music and a beer garden. It's a neat venue for teams, judges, and the general public, and the weather cooperated this year with pleasant temps around 85°. Congratulations to Rory for putting on what was by all accounts a successful event.

Mrs. TVWB and I had fun judging the barbecue, then afterwards we visited with cooking teams and took a photo with the travelling Big Idaho Potato Truck...who could resist?

Congrats to Smokey Hog Island Luv (a mash-up of Smokey Luv BBQ and Hog Island) for taking GC and Old Town Franklin BBQ for taking RGC in the pro division, and Rob's Smokin Rub for taking GC and 2nd Hand Smoke Southern BBQ for taking RGC in the backyard division.

Here are some photos...enjoy!

4ss998d.jpg

Cool trophies await the contest winners.

Kt4oPkw.jpg

Judges got their own miniature version in the form of a pin.

DVOz5ju.jpg

Judges Meeting gets down to business in the Clayton Community Church. Thanks for the air-conditioned meeting room with bathrooms!

Zm0MdkU.jpg

Dan and Truman achieve Master Certified BBQ Judge status with 30 contests under their belts. They have the privilege of leading us in the Judge's Oath. Seen here with KCBS contest rep Julie Poe.

LyqMT2w.jpg

Table captains get their marching orders from KCBS contest rep Ian Schmidt.

WmFRo4o.jpg

WSMs were well represented in Clayton.

RPnDKGR.jpg

Leftovers for non-judging volunteers are portioned out at the Grazing Table.

dCC9QPK.jpg

Not bad looking leftovers, eh?

VOE3ysq.jpg

Main Street, downtown Clayton, CA.

Continued...

Pk6q56h.jpg

You couldn't miss the Big Idaho Potato Truck.

e8lyXmc.jpg

That fake spud would make 1.4 million fake french fries.

wlQ7uSf.jpg

We could all use a Spuddy Buddy.

KwQhsdI.jpg

The band rocks out in the park, complete with harmonica player.

7FMkFkf.jpg

The crowd on the hunt for food and drink.

WLuxoof.jpg

My friends at Lord of the Ribs are always a dependable BBQ vendor at events like this.

n6klzeG.jpg

I hope the Idaho potato people didn't notice that someone was selling these at their booth.

NtRwPUs.jpg

Wash it all down with a refreshing, yard-long, ice-cold lemonade--with free refills!

hWlsA0Q.jpg

No one goes to a BBQ cookoff thinking they'll go home with a new cutting board, but these were nicely made and seemed to be selling well.

mM7y0g2.jpg

Judging and walking around and listening to music and looking at giant fake potatoes can cause you to work up an appetite. We sampled a couple of slices at Skipolini's Pizza before hitting the road back to San Jose.

Back