Cast Iron Griddle doesn't fit

Dan Leighton

TVWBB Pro
I picked up the reversible cast iron griddle for my Genesis E-310 (2007) grill. Just tried it for size with one of the cast iron grates as pictured. It doesn't fit the width of the firebox. It is Weber part #7532. I doesn't fit due to a bulge on both the sides of the griddle. Had the sides been straight without the bulge, the grille and grill would fit perfectly I am thinking of grinding them off so the griddle will fit. Everything on the box indicates it should fit as is, but obviously that is not the case. Any thoughts? Will grinding the bulges down to straight sides negatively impact the strength? Only thing I've noticed is that the photo on Ebay is for a E-320 which has the left side burner.

Just a thought, but what would happen if you turned the griddle 180 degrees with the "bulge" facing the other grate. I see those grates have little tabs on them so that there is a slight space between the grates when installed. Maybe that space is all you need to fit the griddle with the bulge.

EDIT: OK never mind, I see that the griddle has the bulge on both sides. Therefore, I don't see why you couldn't grind one side off, but I have a feeling that the bulge is there to ensure the flat side of the griddle doesn't but up all the way to the wall of the fire box to prevent too much heat build up underneath of it. But, that shouldn't be an issue if you have open grates next to it.

Last edited:
Just a thought, but what would happen if you turned the griddle 180 degrees with the "bulge" facing the other grate. I see those grates have little tabs on them so that there is a slight space between the grates when installed. Maybe that space is all you need to fit the griddle with the bulge.

EDIT: OK never mind, I see that the griddle has the bulge on both sides. Therefore, I don't see why you couldn't grind one side off, but I have a feeling that the bulge is there to ensure the flat side of the griddle doesn't but up all the way to the wall of the fire box to prevent too much heat build up underneath of it. But, that shouldn't be an issue if you have open grates next to it.

Thanks Bruce:

I think I will have to take both bulges off since the grill is double sided. Just wondering if the cast iron grates got narrower a little bit after the 2007 build. The grate width hasn't been an issue with heating the firebox. My only boo boo was in an earlier post when I left the grill on full throttle for 16 hrs. by accident. Rear and sides are straight, but the front did bow a little in the front, but not enough to narrow the width of the firebox.

I am not sure if they have different sized grates for the later version of the E3xx grills or not. But it might be something to check into in case you have grates designed for the later front control model. Also, are the grates genuine Weber grates or aftermarket? Also, don't be too sure that the cook box didn't warp more than you think, although, I don't think leaving it on for an extended time should do that. The grill will only get so hot, and after about 1/2 hour, it should stop getting any hotter. It did seem to me that the E3xx cook boxes are thinner than the older Silver B and Genesis 1000 cook boxes though.

I don't know what the warranty is on that grill, but I assume it was at least ten years. You might check into that, it might be longer and you could submit it under warranty with the bulge.

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce. Definitely 2007 cast iron grates that came with the grill. Not too worried about the firebox and the warranty. Still much better built than the current II series. I like the enclosed base and rust isn't an issue here in the desert. I'm looking at picking a used one for my son after I clean/rehab it. I've got NG, but he has propane. I got the materials to clean/lube my gas valves recently. They work fine, but don't always pop back up to lock in the off position. I love this forum. I got a Thermoworks MK4 when they had the 4th sale, works great and no more heated arm waiting for my old thermometer to read the temps.

Thanks Bruce. Definitely 2007 cast iron grates that came with the grill. Not too worried about the firebox and the warranty. Still much better built than the current II series. I like the enclosed base and rust isn't an issue here in the desert. I'm looking at picking a used one for my son after I clean/rehab it. I've got NG, but he has propane. I got the materials to clean/lube my gas valves recently. They work fine, but don't always pop back up to lock in the off position. I love this forum. I got a Thermoworks MK4 when they had the 4th sale, works great and no more heated arm waiting for my old thermometer to read the temps.

I called Weber Support today who was able to provide zero information. They could not even find the part number for the griddle which is on Amazon and Ebay! They even questioned if it was a Weber or aftermarket part. I ground one bulge off one side and the griddle now fits along with one cast iron grate. Not sure what the problem was at Weber today, but I get more accurate info here on this forum.

Some Customer Support!

Dan: You are here with Weber Rock Stars!

Yesterday morning I sent Weber Grills Online Support questions about the griddle part that didn't fit my E-310 2007 Genesis. Today I called and they couldn't even find the part number. Tonight, I got a response from yesterday mornings email giving me a part number for a grill cover????, nothing to do with a griddle not fitting my grill that is supposed to. They need to get their customer service up to speed rather than spewing out answers that have nothing to do with the questions asked. I don't know if they are overwhelmed with questions or just hiring people who have no clue. Before this issue, Weber had always been spot on with correct information, including acknowledging deficiencies with some of their option add-on for my grill. Rather disappointing.

Bruce:

I got the good old Ryobi grinder out today and ground the bulge on one side of the griddle down to being straight like the rest of the side leaving the ridge and grilling surface coated. Griddle now fits like a glove. Depending which side I use, the other bulge will either be against the other grate or the side of the firebox. Going to try some breakfast on it in the morning!

Their part number system is all messed up. I called and inquired about upgrading to stainless grates and flavorizers on Genesis II I was going to buy and the part numbers I was given did not correspond to the correct parts.

Their part number system is all messed up. I called and inquired about upgrading to stainless grates and flavorizers on Genesis II I was going to buy and the part numbers I was given did not correspond to the correct parts.

Alex: You have that right! The griddle #7532 was supposed to fit. Weber phone support couldn't find that number until I pointed it out on Amazon & Ebay. Showed a different part number (Amazon showed both). this morning I got an apology email from Weber about the recommendation of the grill cover never requested and yet a 3rd part number for the griddle. I just emailed them back about the issue and it was resolved with a grinder. Who wants to pay more shipping on a cast iron griddle! Prior to this encounter Weber support had been right on. Love my grill, but their support staff obviously has issues.

Dan,
Sounds like they really botched up your whole case. Maybe a manager will see the case and send you a griddle for free just to say "sorry". LOL.
I have had good luck with Weber C/S, but I haven't had to contact them in around a year.

One time last year, I contacted them about a grill I had acquired (Silver B) and asked if they knew of a way to get the oxidation out of the lid. They said send a photo, so I did. They said another new lid, with thermometer and end caps was in the mail. I got it a few days later. I guess they didn't realize it was a second owner situation. haha.

Dan,
Sounds like they really botched up your whole case. Maybe a manager will see the case and send you a griddle for free just to say "sorry". LOL.
I have had good luck with Weber C/S, but I haven't had to contact them in around a year.

One time last year, I contacted them about a grill I had acquired (Silver B) and asked if they knew of a way to get the oxidation out of the lid. They said send a photo, so I did. They said another new lid, with thermometer and end caps was in the mail. I got it a few days later. I guess they didn't realize it was a second owner situation. haha.

Thanks Bruce:

I've got my issue resolved thanks to Ryobi 18v grinder. I got the griddle while the getting was good at a fair price from a vendor on eBay. Love my grill and until this fiasco Weber support has been excellent. I don't really need a replacement for it at this point. Before moving from RI where I had a Weber kettle, I bought about every add on imaginable in the early 1980's. Most of them never got used since I only used that kettle about 4 times for large gatherings. (Corn rack, rib rack, side table) Otherwise, I went thru about a half-dozen Smokey Joes which would rot out at the legs from the salt air in coast Rhode Island. Here in Las Vegas, NG was available, so I went to the Genesis in 2007. Never looked back.

Weber's customer service can be a hit or a miss.

I had to go through channels to get an issue resolved, and even then, my next call to a rep required me to submit a copy of a resolution letter the company had sent me earlier.

Last edited:
An hour ago, I sold my latest Silver B redhead rehab to a former Weber CS rep. ;)

Bruce: Congratulations on the sale. I just had my latest exchange with Weber support about my griddle. The rep. wanted photos and measurements which I sent them yesterday. Today, he said I purchased a 2nd hand griddle (which I did not), quoted the current griddle number and dimensions. Guess what! I would have had to grind a bulge off the current one too to make it fit on my 2007 grill. What are these people thinking. In my original email to Weber Support, I asked if there was a dimension change in the cast iron grates or fire box after the 2007 model year. That was when Weber support gave me a number for a cover! They still have never answered that question.

LOL. Dan, someone said it before. There are much more knowledgable people on this forum than there is in the C/S department at Weber. They are actually better than most C/S departments, but I be 90% of them have never stripped down a grill and reassembled it.

LOL. Dan, someone said it before. There are much more knowledgable people on this forum than there is in the C/S department at Weber. They are actually better than most C/S departments, but I be 90% of them have never stripped down a grill and reassembled it.

I am beginning to think you are correct. I was told that the Weber griddle I bought (old stock-still sealed) from a Weber dealer in Michigan was 2nd hand because I purchased it thru eBay. Also the dimensions for the "correct" griddle had the exact same measurements and the one I purchased. As far stripping down a grill and reassembling it, I am working on that from looking at rehab threads. I must admit, I didn't do much cleaning to the grill other than the drip pan and grates for the 1st ten years. That is now being rectified. I just added the Smokemiester I purchased and so far so good. I don't have to rely on the genesis smoker at low temps any more. Only drawback is having to buy pellets 20lbs at a time while I am still experimenting with different woods besides hickory. Next step will be to clean & lube the gas valves now that I have all the necessary cleaners and lubricants so that they don't stick in the down position when off.

Back