Sous Vide and transportation

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
This may be a little convoluted but, Here goes anyway.
Can you offer some advice on a couple of points?
1- Sous Vide prep from frozen, time to ready to sear? (Average tri tip size.)
2- Marinade, freeze, Sous Vide, sear? Take the Anova.
3- Marinade, Sous Vide, freeze, slow thaw (in transit) sear?
I could keep going but, I think you see the gist of the concept, if I’m taking a road trip, where there will be no internet to connect the Anova and very limited electrical service but, I might really enjoy a beautifully prepared tri tip, which method might you see as best use of all the thermal advantages and shortfalls?
My overworked mind really thinks that (3) might be a good way to have something pretty delicious after a six (+/-) road trip, disgorging the vehicle, lighting a chimney of coal and getting the second scotch on ice, opinions?

Last edited:
Wow !

One thing I can offer: you won't be able to use a converter plugged into the ciggy/spare socket. Draw will be too high and it won't work.

I got nothing :(

I guess we might need more details re: what are you using for transportation : car, truck, camper? This relates to what equipment youi're able to bring with you, how long between stops, etc

Last edited:
Sorry, I guess I was not clear, I was not considering Sous Vide prep en route.
The question is more is it better to Sous Vide from frozen, transport in cooler (chilled back down) 6 hour drive, return to room temp and sear to finish?
Or Sous Vide, freeze, allow to that in transit and finish sear at the cottage, I’m not sure just how anyone could use a Sous Vide in a vehicle on Michigan roads!

I had very good results with a Sous Vide Tri-tip that I froze to take camping. I seasoned it with SPG before cooking (6 hrs @ 135) and went right from the water to the freezer. A couple of weeks later I threw it in the cooler with the beer and two days later I cooked it indirect to 90 degrees and then seared it directly over the coals.

Tasty, tender, and juicy. Plus it helped keep the beer cold while thawing. :)

I'd sous vide it, chill and transport in a cooler. Set it out for an hour or so, put it on indirect for an hour to bring upwards of eating temp, then sear it.

That was the type of answer I was looking for (option#3) thanks guys.
I was thinking the same thing about the beer cooling benefit!

Back