Did I at least get close?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
While shopping for some stainless hardware at my local Ace Hardware, I noticed the newest edition of the free Big Green Egg magazine featuring a spectacular steak on the cover:

e0pq46.jpg

This afternoon it was steaks on my Silver C armed with those controversial GrillGrates, so I did my best to get close to the magazine picture. I was lacking the larger size seasoning (ID, anyone?), but I think it still came out looking pretty decent using a healthy dose of Dizzy Dust Cow Lick, my favorite for steak (in combination with some Himalayan pink salt). So, did I at least get close?

2zq5uoi.jpg

Last edited:
That steak looks great (grate). Is that a Ribeye. The wife and I have settled on some high end hot dogs and potato salad for dinner tonight. I thought I would be OK slumming it, but now I want 2" thick Ribeye.

I think the GG"s are a positive. I would probably consider them if they didn't cost so much. Kinda hate to drop anything on top of my RCP SS grates.

Bruce,
It was a small top sirloin. The fancier cuts were out of my budget for the week, but these were pretty good. My son said I used too much seasoning, but it was fun to compete with the magazine!

I do like GrillGrates, but there is no question that rcplanebuyer grates can do just as well, maybe in a little different way. Same goes for good cast iron. I would love to have my own rcplanebuyer grates. I guess I decided to pick GrillGrates instead out of curiosity and because I already had a decent set - though certainly not extraordinary like his - of stainless grates that came with my $50 Silver C.

The one difference that gives those razor sharp grill marks is that the tops of GrillGrates are flat. It gives a different effect than round bars or the rounded side of cast iron. (I have previously experimented with using my cast iron with the flat side up, but I don’t personally like the wide marks.)

Anyway it is all a good time trying different things and sharing results.

Last edited:
Yah, the GG marks are more well defined than those from rounded grates.

Sirloin is my go to beef cut when I don't want to drop over $10 a pound for a steak. Probably better for a guy than the NY STrips and Ribeyes as well due to lower fat content.

How are you finding the GG to clean up each time?

Yah, the GG marks are more well defined than those from rounded grates.

Sirloin is my go to beef cut when I don't want to drop over $10 a pound for a steak. Probably better for a guy than the NY STrips and Ribeyes as well due to lower fat content.

How are you finding the GG to clean up each time?

Bruce,

Before each cook, I use one of those wide wood scrapers you helped me get. They are PERFECT for GrillGrates since they work on the top flat area and don't scrape metal against the anodized aluminum. I also have their "valley brush" which sweeps the burned-up debris to the back. Every so often you need to remove the grates and wash in soapy water if you want to be Mr. Clean:D! I know I sound like a salesperson for GG, but I am not. However, one other nice thing is that more stuff gets incinerated at the grate level so your grill internals don't take as much of a beating with grease and soot.

I am more and more convinced that these are a great upgrade for your Silver/Gold/Platinum where there is only 5 flavorizer bars but not nearly as much for the classic 13 bar setup. That is one reason I am not using them in my "Chicago" Skyline project which is based on the 1000 series Genesis. Rather, I am going to put them in my Platinum grill which will be more of a workhorse and benefit more from using them.

I would think they also would be a big step up for the Genesis 300's with the front control, N-S burners. They would help with evening heat distribution along with their searing benefits.

I just had ribeyes for dinner tonight �� Cooked them on the S330. The sear station did a decent job but the sear marks are not as profound as the magazine pic or Jon’s steaks. Does the more noticeable sear marks make the steAk taste any better LOL

I just had ribeyes for dinner tonight �� Cooked them on the S330. The sear station did a decent job but the sear marks are not as profound as the magazine pic or Jon’s steaks. Does the more noticeable sear marks make the steAk taste any better LOL

Nahhhh, it doesn't affect the taste itself, but to many people, including me, it DOES make steaks (and pork chops, burgers, grilled chicken) LOOK better. And how food appears is definitely an important part of how it is perceived. There is actually a good line of reasoning that rather than "sear marks" you should be trying for an overall "crust". Doing this without instead burning expensive steak is, I suppose, part of the art of finer grilling. I guess I like the cross-hatch marks and how distinct GrillGrates makes them. My family and guests seem to as well, so I am happy:D!

Jon,
Just so you know, I have noticed how you never make your grill marks perpendicular, but rather you skew them a bit so they make diamond shapes instead of squares. I have a feeling that is not an accident. Jon the SEAR King.

Actually I do try for that;). The picture in that Green Egg magazine is pretty much my dream target, although I prefer a little less rare inside. To achieve those kind of results I think you need very high heat but also very controlled with no flare-ups. A generous coat of seasoning also helps. I am really looking forward to finally grilling on the Broilmaster. I am curious to see if it is up to that or just another grill.

That steak looks great (grate). Is that a Ribeye. The wife and I have settled on some high end hot dogs and potato salad for dinner tonight. I thought I would be OK slumming it, but now I want 2" thick Ribeye.

I think the GG"s are a positive. I would probably consider them if they didn't cost so much. Kinda hate to drop anything on top of my RCP SS grates.

Pretty sure Bruce the Ribeye's I buy at costco and a good price by the way are 1 1/2 inches thick might be wrong but that is pretty much the standard, because they are so big at costco the wife and I split one. I do full strips for filet's Kroger had an absurd deal about a month ago for 6.99 a pound think it was July 4th and she went up and got a few of them, I told her I wanted those cut at 2 inches the meat guy said he usually does them at 1 1/2 but he did do them at 2 inches for me.

Myself and the wife is coming around yup more fat in the Ribeye's better taste is the result but a 2 inch filet ain't bad either.

Back