Pulled Pork on a Gasser

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Back in early June I started a tread asking if anyone ever made pulled pork on a gasser.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74253-Anyone-ever-made-pulled-pork-on-a-gasser

I got quite a few responses so I thought I would give it a try even though the fire restrictions had be lifted the day before.

I used my E320 NG gasser so no worries about a bottle running out.

It was a nine pound butt and I found a Weber original dry rub and used that instead of my own.
Started at 10 am I know that’s late but this wasn’t going to be for dinner so if it went late no issues.
My E320 is an E/W burner model which works out well for this type of cook.
Front burner on about med/high back two burners off.
The gasser settled in at 260 grate temp monitored by my maverick. The grill stayed at 260 for the whole cook, never moved which was nice as the weather was rainy and windy.
The smoke was apple and cherry.
At about 5pm it hit 180 and we foiled it with brown sugar and apple juice.
At 7:30 pm it hit 203 and the bone pulled out clean, let it rest until 8:30 pm and pulled it mixed in a little more rub and the juices from the foil.
The bark was dark and tasty, the meat super moist and flavorful.
I also really liked the Weber dry rub, great flavor without a lot of heat.
Overall I was impressed with the outcome, not as much smoke flavor as I would like, but then again I went light on the smoke just using two chunks.
Would I do it again, yes with our goofy winds here the stability of the gasser makes it a hands free cook and the end product was excellent.

This morning we had fried eggs on top of some heated pulled pork with some hash browns, pure heaven.

42522299285_0b43e92f59_z.jpg
[/url]100_3591 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

28556933277_0ba2692984_z.jpg
[/url]100_3594 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

28556931607_f8f314db69_z.jpg
[/url]100_3598 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

28556930197_cc411b6f7b_z.jpg
[/url]100_3600 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

42522294145_a2126de35e_z.jpg
[/url]100_3602 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Have a great week

Nicely done Rich! Just to be safe please crate up all your charcoal grills and ship them to me, you have my address.:p

Excellent results Rich!
Who needs that nasty old charcoal? :p

Okay Bob just to let you know I'm smoking two slabs of bacon right now using that nasty charcoal and apple wood before the next round of monsoons blows in. Sunday we got 3 inches, Monday we got 2.4 inches and last night at 4pm we got 2.5 inches in less than two hours with 50-60 mph winds and lots of lighting and thunder, really nasty. Didn't realize how much I missed that nasty KBB white smoke too.:p

28584620517_112a018878_z.jpg
[/url]100_3604 (1) by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Nicely done Rich! Just to be safe please crate up all your charcoal grills and ship them to me, you have my address.:p

Sorry Pat, I can't I'm using them again between monsoons. Oh happy days;)

Last edited:
Nice job on that pork shoulder Rich. Bet it was good. I'm getting the picture concerning your annual rainfall pattern. You get plenty of rain, it's just that you get it all in 2 or 3 weeks!

Last edited:
Nice job on that pork shoulder Rich. Bet it was good. I'm getting the picture concerning your annual rainfall pattern. You get plenty of rain, it's just that you get it all in 2 or 3 week!

The monsoon season begins on June 15 and ends on September 30, but the storms peak between mid-July and mid-August. This year we started almost on a daily basis about July 4th. What's scary is they become more intense going into the first part of August and they already are quite nasty.

But the good news is I got my bacon smoked and seeing we were out of bacon I'm a happy guy.

Glad the rains have come albeit in fits and starts (or drought and deluge) anything to reduce fire concern is good for you folks.
I’m off to the shore of Lake Huron, water temp looks a bit cool and some storms may be brewing for part of the vacation but, I can deal with all of that easier than fire danger!

Back