reset config

Steve IL

I accidentally clicked yes on this and now my ip address is 192.168.201.1 and i can't connect. thermocouple is now way off too. Do i need to redo my sd card? Tried reinserting it to see if it'll load my wifi info but it did not.

It is probably in Access Point mode now. You can scan for wifi networks with a smartphone or tablet and connect to HEATERMETER access point, then connect to HM web UI and go to Config/Network and scan for and connect to your wireless network.
Re-imaging the SD card with the preconfigured wifi build will also work.

The Reset Config resets ALL configuration to default so as Ralph said, it is probably in AP mode now. You can edit the config.txt on the SD card, removing the "#" in front of the wifi_ssid= and wifi_password= items to have them reconfigure the device again, or put a config.txt on any USB flash drive with just those two lines in it and HeaterMeter will copy into the active configuration when it boots the next time.

The Reset Config resets ALL configuration to default so as Ralph said, it is probably in AP mode now. You can edit the config.txt on the SD card, removing the "#" in front of the wifi_ssid= and wifi_password= items to have them reconfigure the device again, or put a config.txt on any USB flash drive with just those two lines in it and HeaterMeter will copy into the active configuration when it boots the next time.

Is there a way to remove the Reset Config or suppress that option from the device menu? I accidentally clicked it today mid-cook and had to run and reconfigure wifi and restore a backup to get back to cooking. It was a PITA.

No there's no way to block it. I'm not sure what setting you're accessing so frequently that causes you to mistakenly activate the Reset Config option, but you can consider using the left button to go back rather than pressing the right button to cycle completely through the menus?

I'm actually working on the menu system currently to add some more stuff to it. I'll look at making it a double select option though so it you'd have to go to Reset Config? set it to Yes. Confirm by going to the next menu where it can prompt with an Are you sure? or something. Also maybe make it so the second screen prompts for what to reset like: Are you sure? "Cancel", "Yes", or "Full Reset". Don't hold your breath for that though!

Working on menu?.... can you add "load config" 1,2,3 etc? That's a wish list item for a while now, and would solve the OP's problem as long as he saved his config....

That's not a change in the menus, that's a huge change to the Pi's systems. Also it wouldn't have helped because reset config wipes everything to a blank filesystem (which is the only way it can work reliably).

No there's no way to block it. I'm not sure what setting you're accessing so frequently that causes you to mistakenly activate the Reset Config option, but you can consider using the left button to go back rather than pressing the right button to cycle completely through the menus?

I'm actually working on the menu system currently to add some more stuff to it. I'll look at making it a double select option though so it you'd have to go to Reset Config? set it to Yes. Confirm by going to the next menu where it can prompt with an Are you sure? or something. Also maybe make it so the second screen prompts for what to reset like: Are you sure? "Cancel", "Yes", or "Full Reset". Don't hold your breath for that though!

Great! Thank you for the consideration.

That's not a change in the menus, that's a huge change to the Pi's systems. Also it wouldn't have helped because reset config wipes everything to a blank filesystem (which is the only way it can work reliably).

Can't fault a guy for tryin'... LOL
Though I am always confused as to why this request is such a big deal... If you can save a config to and load a config from a file right now, why is it such a problem to make it save to and load load from file1, file2, file3 etc? I thought adding the menu item to "Load Config" was the major hurdle which is why I raised this idea again here.

haha the only way to make your dream a reality is to keep asking for it! Yeah it is a pretty major thing to get interaction between the device menus and stuff stored on the Pi. Still, it may be possible somewhere down the road and changes I'm making now do bring that closer to reality, but not in this pass because it already has a ton of feature creep.

Back