Outside Skirt Steak Tacos

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
When Chris posted his skirt steak cook a couple of weeks ago it got me thinking about doing a cook of my own. While we were in Oregon last week I found two really nice butcher shops and made a point of taking a look. I hit pay dirt. The first one we went to was nestled away in a residential neighborhood south/west of Medford. The people were super nice and they had a good selection of dry aged beef. They indeed had skirt steak. It went pretty close to how it was described in one of the two articles that Chris wrote and linked in his post. The first pack she brought out was labeled skirt steak but did not specify inside or outside skirt steak. She thought it was inside but went and checked with the owner/butcher and confirmed inside. I told her I was looking specifically for outside skirt and she said she wasn't sure about outside. She went back in and talked to the butcher the second time and after about 5 minutes returned with a 1.7 lb. pack of outside skirt. It had been dry aging for 3 weeks and she said it was ready to go. My dilemma was we still had six days left in our vacation and I wasn't too confident about our little refrigerator in our room. I went ahead and purchased it and she kept it there for me until we left the following week. Yesterday, I used about half of it and made some tacos and some Mexican Street Corn for the side (Thanks for the idea Dan). It came out great.

My score.

enhance

Made a Tomatillo Salsa the day before my cook for use in the tacos. Tamatillos, serranos, garlic, cilantro, onion and salt.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Earlier in the day I put together the ingredients for the corn. Here's everything minus the corn which I roast in a skillet this evening. Mayo, Cotija Cheese, Lime juice, chopped jalapeno, cilantro, red onion, chopped garlic. chili powder, s & p to taste.

enhance

Unwrapped the meat. Again, I grilled up about half. Got it in the marinade (jalapeno, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, oil, k salt, pepper, and (cumin) for a couple of hours. Saved the other half for another cook.

enhance

Browned the corn off 4 ears in some oil.

enhance

Mixed in the rest of ingredients. Set aside.

enhance

Skirt on the grill.

enhance

enhance

Quick tortillas.

enhance

On grill for about 3 minutes a side. Sliced it up.

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

This was a really fun cook... in spite of the heat, 109 today. My wife loved it. Had a good time reading up on skirt steak. Will return for more in October. Have a good weekend everyone and thanks for looking.

Looks fantastic Cliff!

The other day on Woot they had Huntspoint Wagyu inside skirt, 4 @2.5 lbs. each, 10 lb total for $160.

Those tacos are outstanding! Really like that corn "salsa", too.

Am going on the hunt for some outside skirt steak, pronto.

Outstanding Cliff, Barb and I made skirt steak tacos a couple of nights ago, but they sure didn't look as nice as yours.

Man Cliff, you nailed that one outstanding job. All you need to do is send us a plate of it.;)

Oh that looks soo good.. I'm a bit late to the commenting party here (hiding from the internet this weekend).... And I immediately am disappointed I did.

Back