Craigslist Weber Q320 $15

NelsonY

My Weber Q320 project. Front cart legs broken, repaired with carbon fiber, epoxy and peel ply for curing over cracked area. Cleaned off rust with wire wheels and drill, scrubbing entire grill, cleaned out burner holes and installed new ignition. My first cookout, steaks, overcooked (cheap meat thermometer, followed wrong reading). Second cookout, St. Louis style ribs, low and slow indirect heating. (4 1/2 hours, 300 degrees) Small burner turned off and larger burner set on low. Again over cooked, this time I did not use any meat thermometer. ( I'm gonna learn someday). I used a meat rack on a 9"x13" steel pan with holes ($2 from Walmart) for indirect heating. I found later, I could have lowered temperature by turning off large burner and setting small burner on low. (270 degrees) I had difficulty getting smoke on the Weber Q, especially on low and slow indirect heating. I hope to solve that problem with tube smoker and wood pellets. Still my family enjoyed the ribs as the meat was juicy and falling off the bone.
Overall I enjoyed my Weber Q. It is so easy to use, maintains constant temperatures and easy to clean (coming off charcoal kettles) I found this website to have many useful informative information.

Thank you.

I'm not sure about photos. Copy and paste on your browser to see photos.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipOfh_fOywiAx_sA6BsncNQaqulChJDcSKIr5iQZ

Yah, photo link doesn't work. But it sounds like you got a great deal on that grill. Glad you got the cart fixed. Good job there. Cooking with the grill will get better with practice and learning the grill. You can also prop the lid open slightly with a spatula or other item if you need to lower the indirect heat a bit more than just running a single burner on low would do.

By the way, where exactly did you need to clean rust on the Q320? Only places I can think would be the cooking grate and maybe the burners. The rest is either composite-plastic or aluminum.

I used the wire wheel on a drill to clean out the rust on the cooking grate. It took a long time. Theres still a little more rust there. I'll try the 4 1/2" angle grinder with wire wheel next.

My Weber Q320 project. Front cart legs broken, repaired with carbon fiber, epoxy and peel ply for curing over cracked area. Cleaned off rust with wire wheels and drill, scrubbing entire grill, cleaned out burner holes and installed new ignition. My first cookout, steaks, overcooked (cheap meat thermometer, followed wrong reading). Second cookout, St. Louis style ribs, low and slow indirect heating. (4 1/2 hours, 300 degrees) Small burner turned off and larger burner set on low. Again over cooked, this time I did not use any meat thermometer. ( I'm gonna learn someday). I used a meat rack on a 9"x13" steel pan with holes ($2 from Walmart) for indirect heating. I found later, I could have lowered temperature by turning off large burner and setting small burner on low. (270 degrees) I had difficulty getting smoke on the Weber Q, especially on low and slow indirect heating. I hope to solve that problem with tube smoker and wood pellets. Still my family enjoyed the ribs as the meat was juicy and falling off the bone.
Overall I enjoyed my Weber Q. It is so easy to use, maintains constant temperatures and easy to clean (coming off charcoal kettles) I found this website to have many useful informative information.

Thank you.

Nelson,

Welcome to our forum! The "big" Q is an excellent grill. It does have it's idiosyncrasies. Some people complain about the next size down (Q200/2000 series) not having enough power, but the 300/3200 series sometimes seems to have almost too much! At least on mine, I have learned to back off on the center burner, even when trying to sear steaks, chops, etc.

You reference trying some lower and slower style barbecuing with your Q. Some others do report success with this, so it is definitely possible. To me, though, the Q grills were primarily designed to GRILL. I think you would be better off picking up a cheap used Weber kettle for your low and slow stuff and let your Q shine on searing steaks, and whatever you like.

I love that the Q is pretty easy to keep clean. (And that's important. I use a small plastic putty knife and regularly scrape everything into the drip pan while the grill is still fairly warm.) Living in humid, salt air South Florida, the aluminum and composite plastic composition of the Qs is another big advantage. Keep practicing and you will grow to love it. Maybe you will be more adventurous than me and also master the lower temperature cooking on yours!

Best wishes!

11c5kzp.jpg

2814lj9.jpg

Back