Adding a Thermometer - Quick Question

Scotty A A

Adding a thermometer to the lid of my Q2000 this weekend. Is there any need to use insulated washers front/back or ok to just install straight through with the wingnut?

My Q320 factory installed thermometer has no washers, only a wingnut. You could probably try with and without washers and see if there is a difference in temperature reading

Just a straight hookup is all you need. The washers shouldn't affect the performance of the thermometer, but they are not needed. The thermometer gets its reading from the tip or maybe last 1/4" of the thermometer probe. If nothing else, a washer on the front, between the dial and lid will just make it stick out and look odd.

Just drill the correct hole/holes if not already there and install it with the thermometer and wing nut.

Simple install - as Bruce advised - correct hole, no washers and the wing nut. Looks great and I'll probably test it tonight - check the temp on the gauge vs an IR thermometer.
Thanks for the replies.

Keep in mind the temps will probably read significantly different since you will be measuring different areas of the cook zone.

I have a thermoworks Smoke remote thermometer and I should place the temp probe right next to my lid thermometer and see what kind of difference I get. I know the Smoke thermometer is very accurate and it should be a good way to test the accuracy of the cheapo analog lid thermometer.

Back