Thread: First local sweet corn this year

First local sweet corn this year

Well yesterday I picked up grand son at Day Camp and on way home needed to make a stop at Wlagreens (satisfy my drug habit) and at the local grocery. While sitting in the car I hear from the back seat "Papa there is a sign across the street for sweet corn" (so glad he can read actually been reading since before he turned 4 smart little s^&t). So I made my grocery stop and we went across to the gas station. Sure enough. Corn freshly picked not more than 2 hours or so previously! From a local Cherry Valley grower (Blackmer Farms). Picked up a few for last nights dinner of cheeseburgers and grilled vidalia onions.
    While it was still just a tiny bit immature it did not disappoint in flavor. As always the Illini Super Sweet variety they grow is outstanding. Sweet like sugar super tender (kernels just burst and melt in your mouth). There is a Japanese variety of corn a farm or two grow here in Illinois called Mirai and while it is good I have to say it does not hold a candle to how Blackmer grows their Illini Super Sweet plus they use organic farming to boot. Way cheaper than Mirai too. Anyway cut off the silks and loose ends fired up the Wolf and loaded in the corn. Gooooooood! Especially with organic grass fed butter from Kerry Gold.

I haven't seen the roadside sellers up here yet. Been getting my corn at Walmart for 10 cents to 25 cents an ear for a couple months now. But, I am looking forward to some of the local (fresh) stuff.

I have done my corn in the husks before, but prefer wrapping shucked ears in aluminum foil with a bit of butter inside. The family prefers it as well. Probably not taste wise as much as convenience.
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

TVWBB Member
    Foiled with butter, salt, pepper, and tajin is the way I like it. If you've never used tajin, give it a shot. I bet you like it.

I tried it that way but didn't like how the butter burns in the foil. Smell of toasted butter is one of those things that will actually make me ill and now there is the issue of cooking in foil after learning more about the condition that took my mother out. Honestly the husks and silks give the corn a wonderful sweet/grassy aroma and taste that I love. But ONLY from locally grown quality very fresh corn

I like cooking corn in the husks too. The silk comes out so easily that way, and it's just so convenient to cook it that way. You can always add butter
    Weber Genesis 2000, Natural Gas

DOn't ever let anyone tell you that you have too much butter on your corn. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life

Yup, I like to cook them in the husks also and you can never have too much butter!
    (with blue lid, a.k.a. Baby Blue) (22.5 in. Kettle premium) (Genesis II E-310) (Genesis Platinum C with Genesis 5000 lid)

I've just always shocked my corn and put it directly on the grill. I find it delicious that way. Next time I'm going to try it in the husk as a change of pace.

TVWBB Pro
    In husk here too. We had corn from GA and it was pretty good. We haven't had any local corn yet.

We moved back from Germany in 2004. Our neighbors are farmers with plots local and miles away. He plants about an acre just for the neighborhood. They tell us when it's ready for picking and we pick all we want for free. He always asks if we got enough and need more because he does 2 plantings a couple weeks apart.

We eat all we want off the cob. We do a couple large boils, slice the corn from the cob and freeze about 20-25# every year.

We've already put up about 8# each of peas and green beans. We'll probably pick again tomorrow.

The peppers are edible, just not red yet. I've picked over a dozen cucumbers already too.
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors